Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by rigdvr View Post
    I think lowest pressure of any storm making landfall in the north east, not ever.
    Yeah I think you're right...

Didn't Katrina drop to 904 prior to landfall?
    Share on Facebook

SeaSick is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeckApe View Post
    Better to die in bed of old age then to drown in a cold and angry sea.
    Maybe it's just me, but the last way I want to die is old and in bed.
    Share on Facebook

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSick View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the last way I want to die is old and in bed.
    Why? Dying old and in bed due to being shot by a jealous husband would give your grandchildren something to talk about.
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,683 Posts

ok, not going to yell and use all caps, but can we remember that a ship was lost early this morning and that both a woman and a man died in the sea in the dark hours. There is nothing here worthy of making humor of. This was a needless and terrible tragedy to what otherwise appears to have stained a storm that was (it appears) free of death and loss at sea. Tonight I am sickened at all of this and at the heinous act which brought this to reality.
    Share on Facebook

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

catherder (October 29th, 2012), DeckApe (October 29th, 2012), PR-9 (October 30th, 2012), The Rover (October 30th, 2012), Traitor Yankee (October 31st, 2012), Tugs (October 30th, 2012), USMM707 (October 29th, 2012)

Knots is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Anyone have a plotter or google earth handy? The news says that the mast is still sticking above water.
    The CG rescue video states the following lat and long.
    33' 54.2" N
    73' 50.3" W
    Share on Facebook

rshrew is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

From a jacktar link

image-2985232801.jpg
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rshrew For This Useful Post:

Flyer69 (October 29th, 2012)

USMM707 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I'm with C. Captain, no humor is warranted here. This whole thing is totally tragic. So surreal watching this whole thing play out on GCaptain and internet blogs. Having made comments prior to the rescue attempt, I take solace that my negative comments towards the captain were made during the period that the HMS Bounty organisation reported ALL hands safely aboard liferafts. I wonder where they got there info. Let us at least respect the dead, for he is surely lost at sea. Obviously, mistakes were made, yet I find comments praising his death to be rather sickening. Anyone posting that his family should be happy of his death so he won't have to live in shame, should be ashamed of themselves. The man did have a wife, son , and daughter, and my heart truly goes out to them. I believe the scrutiny should now fall on the HMS ORGANISATIOn. I do agree, I hope all the insurance money goes to the deceased female crew's family. Someone who personally new Walbridge assured us here that the comments supposedly made by him on the Bounty site were my his words. Really curious to see how this one plays out now that scrutiny will now fall on the organisation!! The man was well intentioned.despite making a dire mistake, that hopefully only cost him his life. However, I would not be surprised to learn he went into the water after Claudene. Let's hope she makes it, I pray the reports of her dying at the hospital are false. A death at sea probably isn't nearly as romantic as books and movies make it out to be. At least the last stage of hypothermia you get drunk and happy, all things probably seem right in the world, when they are truly not.
    Share on Facebook

Capt Leigh is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Read this on another blog, I've not confirmed if it is true about the relationship, but fascinating if that is so....

Claudene Christian has been found deceased.
    She is a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian the lead mutineer on the Bligh's bounty"
    "When it's all said and done,more's said than done"- Anonymous
    Share on Facebook

DeckApe is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by USMM707
    Anyone posting that his family should be happy of his death so he won't have to live in shame, should be ashamed of themselves.
    The man, by his own orders, killed a member of his crew, sank his ship and endangered the lives of those sent to rescue them. I hardly think he should be memorialized for his actions.

Should he survive, and it seems he has not, the damage to his family will be terrible. They will face financial ruin from the lawyers of the family of the lost, the USCG will never let him go to sea, professional mariners will demonize him and he will live knowing he killed another human being as sure as if he pushed her into the dark himself. He would be a man destroyed.

If some day I am in his position I would make my last breath sea water than subject my family to that.
    Share on Facebook

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Leigh View Post
    Read this on another blog, I've not confirmed if it is true about the relationship, but fascinating if that is so....

Claudene Christian has been found deceased.
    She is a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian the lead mutineer on the Bligh's bounty"
    It's entirely possible. Fletcher Christian had many descendants, and while many live on Pitcairn Island to this day, many more have relocated. Years ago, I took an interest in the Bounty mutiny and wanted to know what really happened, to the best the records could reveal. It didn't go down exactly like the movie(s), as you would probably guess. I would go into it more, but this isn't the thread for that.
    Share on Facebook

USMM707 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

The family will be destroyed either way Ape man. Really don't think its right to be bashing a guy floating out in the Atlantic. He paid with his life douche bag, isn't that enough. Why do you have to go on and say well if he lived it would be in shame blah blah blah. He paid with his life for the mistake he maid. Let the man rest. Would not be the first captain to make a dire mistake if this had not ended in tragedy. There have been posts here where decisions made badly easily could have ended in loss of life. This is just tragic, plain and simple.

Yes, according to her FB page one of her last posts was "at least today there will be no mutiny on the bounty with this new generation of Christian sailors"
    Share on Facebook

Jeffrox is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Share on Facebook

Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast