Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,415 Posts

Default Re: HMS Bounty and Hurricane Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer69 View Post
    Another crew member shares her story:
    I read it and found nothing there but the typical useless pablum poetry that one would except from this bunch. Hollow empty words which say zero about what happened out there Sunday night and Monday morning.

I want to look away from the broken ship with her masts snapped and hull submerged. I want to blur the crew lifted by helicopters from twenty foot seas. I want to veer from the Captain, washed overboard, and drifting alone in rough waters. I say the truth is unfathomable and the phrase snags in my throat, a trope already taken from the sea. I catch myself saying fathom again: a word that once meant embrace, and then the length from arm to arm of rope or water, and now means understanding. Bounty is on the sea floor and her Captain lost (my ship, my Captain gone); I don’t want to hold, or measure the depth, or understand this loss.

Such a terrible romantic tragedy but it's the only the fault of a capriciously cruel and heartless sea!

Last edited by c.captain; November 2nd, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Share on Facebook

ChiefRob is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain View Post

Did the BOUNTY even have an EPIRB? Btw, the price of mini EPIRBs for survival suits are not expensive at all and think how that just maybe for $400 that Walbridge might have been found alive within the first 24hours without the USCG burning a million $ in fuel! Time to make personal locator beacons mandatory for all commercial vessels sailing past the baseline!
    If you read back through the post's,and the info the coast guard put out, it say's they were in communication with the Bounty all the way up untill Saturday night, that the captain had sent out a distress call, then later the same night rescinded it, and would wait until daylight to figure out what to do. It say's on the Bountys face book page that was the last communcation they had with the ship. Sometime Sunday night they reported to the coast guard they had lost communcation with the ship, around the same time the coast guard got a distress signal from a EPIRB registered to the Bounty, and the rescue happened bascilly predawn Monday. Nowhere did anybody say anything about an email from the ship on Sunday asking for help, that I saw.
    Share on Facebook

Topsail is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob View Post
    If you read back through the post's,and the info the coast guard put out, it say's they were in communication with the Bounty all the way up untill Saturday night, that the captain had sent out a distress call, then later the same night rescinded it, and would wait until daylight to figure out what to do. It say's on the Bountys face book page that was the last communcation they had with the ship. Sometime Sunday night they reported to the coast guard they had lost communcation with the ship, around the same time the coast guard got a distress signal from a EPIRB registered to the Bounty, and the rescue happened bascilly predawn Monday. Nowhere did anybody say anything about an email from the ship on Sunday asking for help, that I saw.
    Saturday night, that the captain had sent out a distress call, then later the same night rescinded it, and would wait until daylight to figure out what to do

Big weather creates problems not just for those on the water, but for those you might call on for rescue. (Consider what the Coast Guard is flying in right now to find the lost crewmembers.) The H-60 is an all-weather aircraft, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have limitations. Leaving when things are manageable for both you and the rescuers may be a better plan than waiting to see how it goes. The number of times I’ve heard “We’re going to wait until the morning,” as the last call a captain ever made would chill your soul. That wait sometimes makes a rescue impossible.

With an out-of-control fire or progressive flooding, you are going to end up off the boat one way or the other, but that doesn’t mean those are the only times to leave the boat. Big wide hurricanes are unforgiving things, and no matter why you find yourself faced with one, consider everything when deciding how best to survive it. When faced with approaching storms, I’ve seen sailors leave perfectly sound and watertight vessels and it was exactly the right thing to do.

http://gcaptain.com/hurricane-survival-place-absolutes/
    Share on Facebook

Skoidat69 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob

Whatever happened to due diligence? If you think that you are in bad situation then you probably are.. The uncertainty of the master to make command decisions shows that he shouldn't have been in command.

This whole situation is horrible..
    Strippers changed my life- Brad Pitt
    Share on Facebook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skoidat69 For This Useful Post:

SeaSick (November 3rd, 2012)

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skoidat69 View Post
    Whatever happened to due diligence? If you think that you are in bad situation then you probably are.. The uncertainty of the master to make command decisions shows that he shouldn't have been in command.

This whole situation is horrible..
    bite your tongue sir...don't you know how talk like that is dragging this forum into the depths of lowest evil depravity

''...the "gCaptain" forums have been a nightmare of vicious disrespect and ignorant slander topped with endless heaping scoops of wild, random speculation.''
    We must heed these words and clean up our acts here and forebay any more of this wild talk about things that we obviously know nothing about or the world will cast aspersions upon us as being uncooth drunken merchant sailors who talk mean about the glorious grace of the wind and all those who ride upon thee?
    Share on Facebook

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

SeaSick (November 3rd, 2012), Topsail (November 3rd, 2012)

Flyer69 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain

bite your tongue sir...don't you know how talk like that is dragging this forum into the depths of lowest evil depravity

We must heed these words and clean up our acts here and forebay any more of this wild talk about things that we obviously know nothing about or the world will cast aspersions upon us as being uncooth drunken merchant sailors who talk mean about the glorious grace of the wind and all those who ride upon thee?
    Well, I would rather read the unvarnished truth here, as opposed to the kumbaya circle jerk seen elsewhere.
    Carry on, lads.
    Let them who know not how to pray, go to sea.
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyer69 For This Useful Post:

c.captain (November 3rd, 2012), SeaSick (November 3rd, 2012), Topsail (November 3rd, 2012), Traitor Yankee (November 3rd, 2012), Tugs (November 2nd, 2012)

salt'n steel is online now gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer69

Well, I would rather read the unvarnished truth here, as opposed to the kumbaya circle jerk seen elsewhere.
    Carry on, lads.
    Kumbaya circle jerk? That is absolutely brilliant!
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to salt'n steel For This Useful Post:

Flyer69 (November 2nd, 2012)

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer69
    kumbaya circle jerk.
    Add that one to the thesaurus!

Nautical Squirrel.
    Nautical Thespian.
    Kumbaya Circle jerk.

I know there was another injected a day or so ago. I'll have to find it. Everyday a new one shows up!
    Share on Facebook

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cappy208 For This Useful Post:

Flyer69 (November 2nd, 2012), SeaSick (November 3rd, 2012)

AHTS Master is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Does anyone know where I might find a good job on a Tall Ship ?
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AHTS Master
    They're all good jobs on your time off! All the Bohemian chicks you want, and good songs.
    Share on Facebook

Steamer is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AHTS Master View Post
    There aren't as many as there used to be but there probably will be some openings coming up.
    Share on Facebook

Capt Leigh is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Found this on the wooden boats blog this morning....
    This link might be of interest
    http://www.holdhmsbountyaccountable.org/
    "When it's all said and done,more's said than done"- Anonymous
    Share on Facebook

Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast