Page 19 of 601 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon - Transocean Oil Rig Fire

userGOM is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Re: Transocean Deepwater Horizon is on fire

Question, if the explosion took out the drillers house and the BOP panel on the rig floor was compromised/shorted, etc - would it have rendered the other one or two panels useless? Have no idea, just wondering.
    Share on Facebook

fixin is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Just in case some have missed the update on page 7. . . here is the missing list I have been attempting to maintain! But before I repost the list. . .it's a shame that there are few on this thread bickering like children instead of simply enhancing the conversation. I am not in the oilfield. . . but I have MANY loved ones along side of you guys in Drilling and in Production. My neighbor was on the Horizon Tuesday night and I couldn't hold back the tears when I hugged him yesterday afternoon when he finally made it home to his beautiful 3 daughters, wife, and other family and friends. The jokes mocking any emergency or catastrophe aboard a ship/rig/platform is not funny or necessary (ex: ROFLCOPTER Girl). There are lives at stake each and every day you guys hop on the bird and go to work. We women left behind to tend to the house, children, bills, and everything else is a lot of responsibility, but ultimately. . . each and every day we pray for your safety and a safe trip back home to us. Please remember before you post snide comments or jokes, there are 126 men that were aboard the DWH. . . with them comes a many family memebers and friends that love and care for them and I would hate for them to read through all of this and see someone being petty and childish and the expense of a tragedy such as this. Life is too short to be cruel, hateful, or snide. Be true to yourself, worry about yourself, and be kind. . . none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. . .and I sure as heck do not want to know that my last day on Earth would be remembered as such crudeness and immaturity. God Bless You all for what you do. . . Prayers continue to flow for all of those affected by DWH's tragic ending.

REPOST:
    May God embrace each and everyone of the men missing, along with their loved ones. Please report if there is any data missing or incorrect. These names are being reported online and through others on this support site.

- Karl Kleppinger Jr. of Natchez, MS
    - Donald Clark, Newellton, LA
    - Shane Roshto of Amite, MS
    - Roy Wyatt Kemp age 27 (family is in Monterey, La)
    - Dewey Revette age 48 of Stateline, MS
    - Stephen Curtis, Georgetown, LA
    - Aaron "Dale" Burkeen age 37 from Philadelphia, MS
    - Adam Wiese of Yorktown, Texas
    - Jason Anderson of Houston, TX

From a crewmember of MI, The 2 MI people missing are:
    - Gordon James (Gordon has a 2 year old and his wife is 8 months pregnant)
    - Blair Manuel from Eunice, LA

11 Total Names - Please let me know if there is someone missing or if I was given an incorrect name. Thank you
    Last edited by fixin; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:36 AM. Reason: UPDATE LIST - JASON ANDERSON ADDED, REMOVED Ron Pennington, Pike County, MS (CONFIRMED NOT MISSING)
    Share on Facebook

devildog is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

well said fixin! For any offshore wives/loved ones out there that are reading these posts as I am, there are several facebook groups that are set up about this disaster and being an offshore wife/rig wife in general.
    Share on Facebook

richard8000milesaway is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

my condolences again to all who have been hurt in this tragedy.

my background is maritime and lots of O&G not O&G rig fire fighting so please explain:
    as soon as I saw the rig heeling over yesterday I was curious why the OSVs were continuing to pump water onboard as it was obvious that rig's GM was changing. is this standard operating procedure? to wit: is it better to let a fire burn uncotrolled on an abandoned rig or is it better to douse with water and sink it the rig?
    to me, it seems like the cleanup problem has just gotten 20 times more difficult: instead of a floating wreck burning oil we have a sunk wreck leaking oil.
    please explain!!
    thanks & god bless all.
    Share on Facebook

x626xBlack is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ladymudengineer View Post
    Green Canyon 699. Roughly 150 miles from MC 252.
    That is correct. GC 699 and as of midnight the riser is displaced to Seawater and they are prepping to pull.
    Share on Facebook

Orniphobe is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domer View Post
    Why? Does the rig floor have microphone input into the VDR? Is the subsea instrument panel connected?
    No, but there's a BOP panel on the Bridge. And we could set aside the rumours of an explosion three hours ahead of the call for help. Plus I believe the crew did a outstanding job getting 115 people off alive, at night, with a blackout, after what I now understand was a huge explosion that ripped into the living quarters. They deserve our thanks and praise which I haven't seen a lot of yet, for some truely heroic actions.
    Share on Facebook

userGOM is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Absolutely!!
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richard8000milesaway View Post
    my condolences again to all who have been hurt in this tragedy.

my background is maritime and lots of O&G not O&G rig fire fighting so please explain:
    as soon as I saw the rig heeling over yesterday I was curious why the OSVs were continuing to pump water onboard as it was obvious that rig's GM was changing. is this standard operating procedure? to wit: is it better to let a fire burn uncotrolled on an abandoned rig or is it better to douse with water and sink it the rig?
    to me, it seems like the cleanup problem has just gotten 20 times more difficult: instead of a floating wreck burning oil we have a sunk wreck leaking oil.
    please explain!!
    thanks & god bless all.
    There is no standard operating procedure. The fire fighting boats were working at the direction of a Transocean employee that was on the Max Chouest. The Max Chouest also had the ROV that was trying to shut it the well. The water cannons, some of which the were just spraying each other, were constantly being directed in several directions - not to put out the fire, but to protect the vessels as work was trying to be done. The vessels pulled out once and the fire exploded where you could feel the heat nearly a few miles away. When the vessels went back in, the fire subsided enough to get the ROV boat back in. Calculation were done on the fly and all boats were reporting drafts during the whole exchange, but they where using statement like " the rubber bumpers are 4 feet above the water on the starboard aft column" without the benefit of draft marks as the paint was obviously gone. The fire fighting vessels had damaged paint as well. Eventually, if you did not try anything, you would have the same result.
    The only explanation is they tried everything they could without the benefit of being the Monday Morning quarterback.
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orniphobe View Post
    No, but there's a BOP panel on the Bridge. And we could set aside the rumours of an explosion three hours ahead of the call for help. Plus I believe the crew did a outstanding job getting 115 people off alive, at night, with a blackout, after what I now understand was a huge explosion that ripped into the living quarters. They deserve our thanks and praise which I haven't seen a lot of yet, for some truely heroic actions.
    When my GMDSS went off, a female was giving the Mayday call right after the alert, when I looked out in the direction of the position, I could see the fire from 10 miles away.....they were still on the rig at that point...with that fire. Almost immediately, a man came over and stated that they are abandoning ship with an uncontrollable fire,......they were as cool as cucumbers over the VHF - and that deserves my admiration. That in itself saved lives - keeping their head like that. It happened very quickly. I still have the initial distress printout saved and it will be posted for my crew to read and remember the dangers of our industry.
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

DWH..JPG

For all of those affected in the DWH Tragedy
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orniphobe View Post
    Well stated Orniphobe. . . My neighbor is the Chief Engineer on the rig and is having a difficult time with everything. . . I wish it would sink in that although 11 were lost, there were 115 saved! I have not heard the entire story. . .but from my understanding. . . everything happen within less than 5 minutes. Thank You for stating the positive! I commend the crew for that!
    Last edited by fixin; April 23rd, 2010 at 06:08 AM.
    Share on Facebook

kjdmedic is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

I work on one of the deepwater platforms and it is impressive that they did get 115 people off the platform safe. We do drills every week and it sometimes seems overkill and some of the guys think it's over kill, but this proves that the training and drills we do pays off!! We had a fire on our platform a while back and when you muster in an emergency, it takes on a whole new life! Thank god we were able to get the fire under control and not need to evacuate. Our thoughts and prayers are with the missing and their families, and we need to be thankful for the 115 survivors! We are currently changing the way we do a few things and trying to learn from this awful tragedy! May no other platform or rig have to go through what DWH went through!!
    Share on Facebook