Page 149 of 601 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,777 to 1,788 of 7207

Thread: Deepwater Horizon - Transocean Oil Rig Fire

tvhawaii is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon - Transocean Oil Rig Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I don't know what rigs you have worked on... but it is done this way, and certainly on Transocean rigs (I worked one last year where this was the norm)... every time the driller trips in or out of the hole, a trip sheet is made up beforehand showing bit depth against stands of pipe run or pulled. It's a simple matter to add an extra "column" showing tool joint positions in relation to the BOP rams.

I can send you a spreadsheet if you don't believe this...
    Could things have been different in this instance? i.e. pretty much done with drilling/casing/cementing and just trying to move.
    Share on Facebook

pumpjack hand is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bnhpr View Post
    I'm putting my coveralls on, heading to the rig floor right after I type this, how bout yourself?
    Sometimes I'm on the floor, sometimes I'm on the brake handle, sometimes I'm in the derrick, sometimes I'm in the library, sometimes I'm in the office, sometimes I'm in the welding shop, sometimes in the mechanic shop, sometimes I operate the winch, sometimes I'm on the design table, sometimes I need to be in more than one of those places at the same time, but I broke in on a standard triple on the floor at $5.40 an hour when they were already at 18,000' drilling to 24,000', and my point to you was, if a man is too distracted to do his job safely, shouldn't we stop, look, and listen like we learned in 1st grade. Ain't it 'bout time we got back to the basics....
    Share on Facebook

bnhpr is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I don't know what rigs you have worked on... but it is done this way, and certainly on Transocean rigs (I worked one last year where this was the norm)... every time the driller trips in or out of the hole, a trip sheet is made up beforehand showing bit depth against stands of pipe run or pulled. It's a simple matter to add an extra "column" showing tool joint positions in relation to the BOP rams.

For specific operations, with the setting of plugs, tools, packers etc, detailed info is tracked in relation to position in the well and bop.

For the vast majority of drilling operations, a driller cannot tell you where each tool joint, stabiliser, motors, collars, hvwt and other non-shearables (250-500 tooljoints) is in relation to all the rams, annulars etc, 8 different positions in the stack at any point in time.

BS.

They have to stop and locate them.....then verify against the paperwork.

When the bushings flew out of the well, and the TDS landed in the company mans office, do you think he turned around and looked at your spreadsheet?

Spreadsheets are what is killing this industry.

The driller needs a real time display, in cyberbase, that shows a tooljoint in relation to all his rams as they pass through the stack. This is achievable, it is something that drillers have asked for for years.
    Share on Facebook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bnhpr For This Useful Post:

tvhawaii (May 31st, 2010)

Bob S is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

"When the bushings flew out of the well"
    If you're referring to the "bushing" it never was in the well...
    Look. Can yall just stop it with the stupid dick measuring contest and get back to the tech discussion?
    Share on Facebook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob S For This Useful Post:

Eskimeaux (May 31st, 2010), Whipstock (May 31st, 2010)

pumpjack hand is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Real time monitoring would be great, BUT, it looks to me that their tool joint had been spaced correctly for circulating, does anyone come up with different numbers?
    Share on Facebook

CPTdrillersails is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Thanks Alf, I was sitting here scratching my head thinking, gee, how can a driller possibly not know critical information about his drill string, such as where to place it so to not grab on a joint, etc.? The answer is, he can't not know. At least using a spreadsheet, and yeah, I could make one that would do it in about five minutes. That said, I'm surprised that the procedure isn't somehow automated, and that the entire drilling procedure isn't automated for safety, to increase productivity and to reduce labor costs. Certainly it will be soon, check this video out of an automated cpt pushing machine.

Automated CPt rig
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bnhpr View Post
    The driller needs a real time display, in cyberbase, that shows a tooljoint in relation to all his rams as they pass through the stack. This is achievable, it is something that drillers have asked for for years.
    I'm taking what is good and leaving the rest here. I agree with this 100%. I'm very surprised that this automated real-time display isn't already standard equipment, and people are still writing it down on forms in an aluminum clipboard.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

And speaking of writing things down on a form in an aluminum clipboard. How are things like critical pressures, pump volumes, etc. recorded and displayed? Is the lack of proper display of this information a potential contributing factor to the blow out?
    Share on Facebook

Bob S is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

"and that the entire drilling procedure isn't automated for safety, to increase productivity and to reduce labor costs."
    ** on it since about 1930
    Share on Facebook

ghorouter is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Hearing video from Kenner La last Friday.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/browse?date=2010-05-28
    Share on Facebook

Cynthia is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

What jumped out at me during the testimony of the BP well design engineer was a question that Halliburton asked him. Halliburton designed the cement job on that last section of casing to have 21 centralizers. How many centralizers did BP use in that last section? His answer was 6. So, my question is wouldn't a cement bond log have been particularly useful to have before displacing to sea water, since they had gone with so few centralizers?
    Share on Facebook

lfgd521rc is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CPTdrillersails View Post
    I'm taking what is good and leaving the rest here. I agree with this 100%. I'm very surprised that this automated real-time display isn't already standard equipment, and people are still writing it down on forms in an aluminum clipboard.
    Something as simple as a spring loaded calibrated wheel that could ride along the drill pipe could measure the length of the string. Height of hook from drill floor data strem also has possibilities of being used to feed data. Don'y know how far down they are calibrated. Plus or minus one foot should be close enough to determine the tool joint location. Thereafter use the weight indicator... that's the old school way and proven way.

If we can use an ROV to cut riser in 5000 feet of water the drill string calculator display should be a breeze.
    Share on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lfgd521rc For This Useful Post:

tvhawaii (May 31st, 2010)