Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little confused concerning AB requirements

blcouch is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default A little confused concerning AB requirements

As stated in a previous thread, I am a Master of Towing vessels for Rivers, Inland and Great Lakes. In my quest to go offshore, I found I need a MMD, and that my sea time qualifies me for AB Special. Besides the sea time, the application,and physical, do I need some sort of training? I enrolled in SeaSchool's Able Seaman, any level, any waters prep for USCG approved exam and practical Marlinspike. It does not include lifeboat written or practical, nor RFPNW. Wayne from SeaSchool St. Pete said I would need lifeboat on my MMD, but is this class I enrolled in necessary? I am new to all this, and Marlinspike(other than the knife) is new to me. Should I just find a Lifeboat class to take? Class starts Monday in Bayou La Batre, so timely info would help. Thanks guys.
    Share on Facebook

CaptAndrew is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: A little confused concerning AB requirements

You will need Lifeboatman for any AB. If you are going offshore and will be working under STCW requirements you will also need the RFPNW with Assessments. The assessments need to be done whilst working on deck over a significant time period, 90 days I think. So you may have to go back on deck for while. The checklist shows the requirements.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Share on Facebook

Shellback is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptAndrew View Post
    You will need Lifeboatman for any AB. If you are going offshore and will be working under STCW requirements you will also need the RFPNW with Assessments. The assessments need to be done whilst working on deck over a significant time period, 90 days I think. So you may have to go back on deck for while. The checklist shows the requirements.
    For RFPNW, 6 months of sea going service.
    A day of approved sea going service for qualification as a RFPNW is an 8 hour day,under training carrying out duties assosciated with navigational watchkeeping functions,under the direct supervision of the Master, OICNW or a qualified rating..

Also 50 % of the service must be performed on sea going vessels of at least 200 GRT and All steering and helm assessments must be completed on vessels of at least 100 GRT

It's all in policy letter 14/02 on the NMC web site
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

at this point I am only concerned with the z-card for ab special. I'll fool with the stcw stuff later. I can't get on a blue water boat without it, an only on those boats can I get time for upgrading my license. After I get my master 500ton inland, I will start with seatime for near coastal. If I have understood every one so far boats that stay in domestic trade in near coastal routes have less or no stcw. Unless near coastal is not domestic.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

section 12.05 will help you out I think..

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...6:1.0.1.2.12.4
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blcouch View Post
    at this point I am only concerned with the z-card for ab special. I'll fool with the stcw stuff later. I can't get on a blue water boat without it, an only on those boats can I get time for upgrading my license. After I get my master 500ton inland, I will start with seatime for near coastal. If I have understood every one so far boats that stay in domestic trade in near coastal routes have less or no stcw. Unless near coastal is not domestic.
    blcouch, you will need to take the AB class, also lifeboat/PSC , basic safety ( BST)...to go off shore..Now I believe the OSV's that run out of the gulf are under some different rules...Maybe one of the guys down there can help you out on that...
    Share on Facebook

Mr 100-ton is offline Top Contributer Greenhorn
    Thanks

RFPNW "LOOKOUT ONLY" can be done in a simulator but is only good for 1 year. check out WWW.MPT.COM in fort lauderdale. there web site has the information that you need,
    Share on Facebook

jdcavo is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blcouch View Post
    at this point I am only concerned with the z-card for ab special. I'll fool with the stcw stuff later...
    I'd suggest giving STCW some thought now. Otherwise you might find yourself having to take more courses. For example, if you go for short and cheap on the Lifeboatman now, you might find that it isn't acceptable for STCW, and you need to take another "Proficiency in Survival Craft" course for STCW later. A little research and extra time /money now may save a lot later. With the lifeboatman example, a 2-day course might get you the "Lifeboatman" endorsement, but you'll need to spend another 3-5 days for STCW. Go to the STCW course now and you spend an extra day or two now, but won't need to spend 5 later.

You may also find your employment potential is limited offshore without STCW.
    Last edited by jdcavo; November 5th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
    Share on Facebook

jdcavo is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 100-ton View Post
    RFPNW "LOOKOUT ONLY" can be done in a simulator...

It can be done ashore, but a simulator isn't required, there are no practical assessments. Most RFPNW-Lookout only courses do not use simulators, they are entirely in a classroom. However, the ones with a simulator may also take care of some of the practical assessments for the "full" or non-restricted RFPNW that you would otherwise need to get done on a vessel.

RFPNW-Lookout might be of limited utility. This is essentially the old watchstanding Ordinary Seaman and most vessels that carried them eliminated them a long time ago. There are vessels that can substitute a "Specially Trained Ordinary Seaman" for some of the ABs, but this would be an OS with the full, non-restricted RFPNW.
    Last edited by jdcavo; November 5th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
    Share on Facebook

bluejay is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdcavo View Post

You may also find your employment potential is limited offshore without STCW.
    My experience in the gulf was similar. Though I did test and received an mmd showing Qmed/Oiler, until I got the STCW document after assessment, I could only sail (and get paid) as wiper.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

My problem is that I am unemployed for 2 months now, with no prospects from all the applications I have sent out, and money for training is extremely scarce. I managed to borrow the funds for the AB class, and might be able to for the lifeboat class, but a package of STCW stuff is a no-go for now.
    Share on Facebook

seadawg is offline Top Contributer Greenhorn
    Thanks

jdcavo's point is valid..you might want to consider your first step STCW basic safety training..your TWIC, MMC, and STCW BST should get you "thru the door" as an os/wiper with most offshore towing companies..based on your license/experience if it is a decent company they may "fast track" you from there and quite possibly pay for it..it is a shame that there is not a more equitable transition for you..GOOD LUCK!!

retired!!everyday is Saturday!!
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast