Thread: MCA to USCG Licence

BluesEnd is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Default MCA to USCG Licence

Hi,
    I'm an expat Brit now living in Texas. I hold a UK 2nd mates licence unlimited and my question is - I have recently heard it's now possible to do a "crossover" and get a uscg 2nd mate unlimited licence (it never used to be possible).
    Does anybody know where I could go to get more information on this? I've been looking for a long time including the uscg website but cannot find any relevant info..... thanks
    Steve
    Share on Facebook

JGB
    JGB is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Re: MCA to USCG Licence

It is my understanding that because of the Jones Act, the only USCG license a non-citizen can hold is OUPV for vessels w/out federal documentation, 46CFR11.201(d). You may hold any rating, however, so you could qualify for A/B Unlimited, Tankerman, etc. with your UK seatime & if you have a grandfathered DPO certificate, you could run a DP desk if someone else were OICNW.

USCG licenses will "crossover" to MCA, but you still must do oral exam and can crossover only once; but an MCA license holder who is a US citizen would still need to go thru the entire USCG licensing process, including exams, tho foreign sea service would still count.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEnd View Post
    Hi,
    I'm an expat Brit now living in Texas. I hold a UK 2nd mates licence unlimited and my question is - I have recently heard it's now possible to do a "crossover" and get a uscg 2nd mate unlimited licence (it never used to be possible).
    Does anybody know where I could go to get more information on this? I've been looking for a long time including the uscg website but cannot find any relevant info..... thanks
    Steve
    Share on Facebook

Tugboater203 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Did you try calling the NMC? 1-888-427-5662.
    Share on Facebook

AHammond is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

You must be a U.S. Citizen to obtain any endorsement over OUPV (for state registered vessel). We call this a "six-pack" license, which is for small vessels carrying 6 or less passengers for hire. If you are a "permanent resident", you can be issued "ratings endorsements" such as Able Seaman etc. IF you are a U.S. Citizen, the Coast Guard will approve you for a 'crossover', but the other issue is that the training courses don't necessarily crossover. I've helped a few clients that have been naturalized citizens and we have had issues with training courses. You won't find any relevant information on NMC's web site with respect to crossing over.
    Share on Facebook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AHammond For This Useful Post:

JGB (March 8th, 2013)