Thread: Upgrade to Chief Mate and 1600T Master

New3M is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Upgrade to Chief Mate and 1600T Master

I'm going to submit my packet to upgrade to Chief Mate here pretty soon, and I'm going to apply for 1600T Master as well. I don't see any problems with being approved for it, but does anyone know if you end up taking the 1 test for 1600T Master along with all of the CM tests? I would think if you pass the Chief Mate exam that the 1600T stuff is covered in there, but I'm not sure.
    Share on Facebook

dredgeboater is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New3M
    I'm going to submit my packet to upgrade to Chief Mate here pretty soon, and I'm going to apply for 1600T Master as well. I don't see any problems with being approved for it, but does anyone know if you end up taking the 1 test for 1600T Master along with all of the CM tests? I would think if you pass the Chief Mate exam that the 1600T stuff is covered in there, but I'm not sure.
    From 46CFR "(b) An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination."

I read that as you should have to take the 1 general subjects for the 1600 Master. You can always verify with the NMC as well.
    Share on Facebook

Capt. Phoenix is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dredgeboater View Post

From 46CFR "(b) An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination."

I read that as you should have to take the 1 general subjects for the 1600 Master. You can always verify with the NMC as well.

Seeing as how the chief mate exam is also the exam for master unlimited I don't see why one would need to also take the crossover exam.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Default Re: Upgrade to Chief Mate and 1600T Master

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Phoenix View Post
    Seeing as how the chief mate exam is also the exam for master unlimited I don't see why one would need to also take the crossover exam.
    That was my thought as well. But the CFR that dredgeboater posted says Chief mate, but that also means if you already have the license, not applying for the upgrade.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

That was my thought as well. But the CFR that dredgeboater posted says Chief mate, but that also means if you already have the license, not applying for the upgrade.
    I took applied for 1600 Master with my 2/M and had to take the crossover. A phone call to NMC could clear it up or it could give you a hellacious migraine.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dredgeboater View Post
    I took applied for 1600 Master with my 2/M and had to take the crossover. A phone call to NMC could clear it up or it could give you a hellacious migraine.
    I have a hellacious migraine already from scanning in these 50+ pages of assessments!
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

I have a hellacious migraine already from scanning in these 50+ pages of assessments!
    At least you don't have to spend almost all your time off for a calendar year taking the courses.
    Share on Facebook

Jeffrox is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

There could be Chief Mates out there that took the exam pre 2002 before the CM and master exam was combined and for them taking the 1600 master crossover would seem relavent. For someone taking the combined CM/M test it does't seem relavent.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dredgeboater

At least you don't have to spend almost all your time off for a calendar year taking the courses.
    Yea no kidding. Although I ended up taking half of them - started before they got rid of them.
    Share on Facebook

Capt. Phoenix is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrox View Post
    There could be Chief Mates out there that took the exam pre 2002 before the CM and master exam was combined and for them taking the 1600 master crossover would seem relavent. For someone taking the combined CM/M test it does't seem relavent.

True, I meant people that took the combined test like the OP will be.
    Share on Facebook

jdcavo is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by New3M View Post
    The chief mate unlimited test was combined with that for master unlimited. Since you're taking the master unlimited exam, you should not need additional tests for master 1600.
    James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
    Share on Facebook

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdcavo For This Useful Post:

dredgeboater (January 15th, 2013), New3M (January 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdcavo View Post
    The chief mate unlimited test was combined with that for master unlimited. Since you're taking the master unlimited exam, you should not need additional tests for master 1600.
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    Share on Facebook