Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

  1. #1
    NYBoatman's Avatar
    NYBoatman is online now Old Salt
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 90 Times in 47 Posts

    Default Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    Which of the 2 study guides are the better one to get? Or is there anything better then those 2?

  2. #2
    tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,156
    Thanks
    1,231
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 856 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    Seasources.net is FREE. If you want to pay, go for Lapware.org.

  3. #3
    NYBoatman's Avatar
    NYBoatman is online now Old Salt
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 90 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    $100 a month for lapware is alot. Plus its only good when you have internet. I don't always have internet on the boat. I'd rather have all the material on hand you know. Thank tho. I appreciate the info.

  4. #4
    tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,156
    Thanks
    1,231
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 856 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    As they say, time is money. Lapware will save you time and $100 a month is nothing compared to current day rates, or the time and money it takes to go to live classes at a school.

    I do prefer books myself. MPT sells some good materials at their bookstore.

  5. #5
    wmoser is offline gCaptain Crew
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    I'd second seasources.net. I think I paid $50 or so and you can download the question bank so you don't need an Internet connection. Also, they were working on updating their question bank with the newly released questions when I was using it a few months ago. The cg hadn't released the drawings yet so the electrical section wasn't up dated yet. I just watched some videos on YouTube about PLCs, ladder logic and there were some old military videos about motors and generators that were a good review.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Top of the boat; closest to God!
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 141 Times in 72 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    Another good source is deckskills.org. No question bank but its a pretty good "how to" for studying terrestrial/celestial problems.

  7. #7
    NYBoatman's Avatar
    NYBoatman is online now Old Salt
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    202
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 90 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    Do these site provide the math formulas u need to know for the 1600 ton? What about for terrestrial and celestial problems?

  8. #8
    tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,156
    Thanks
    1,231
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 856 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    Celestial (with the other ocean navigation topics) is something that is best covered in a two week course at an approved school. You can get a certificate from an approved school so that you don't have to test for it at the REC.

  9. #9
    RubberRhib888's Avatar
    RubberRhib888 is offline Old Salt
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    650
    Thanked 200 Times in 113 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tugsailor View Post
    Celestial (with the other ocean navigation topics) is something that is best covered in a two week course at an approved school. You can get a certificate from an approved school so that you don't have to test for it at the REC.
    Even if you take an approved course and pass their test, you still have to test at the REC for your license. Lapware is a very good study source, however, I didnt like the solutions portion of the tutorials. There is more than one way to skin a cat..and more than one way to get/obtain answers through various solutions. I am using Capt. Joe's, Hawsepipe.net, Murphy Books, and Seasources. I duplicated the REC test library with the exact books and pubs allowed in the exam room. I also have the Murphy Books in PDF format on my tablet. Buy Bowditch Vol Il!!!! MPT is over priced. It is a good school though. Try Sandwich Ship supply...they sell all the Murphy books and some of the pubs too. Good luck.

  10. #10
    RubberRhib888's Avatar
    RubberRhib888 is offline Old Salt
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    394
    Thanks
    650
    Thanked 200 Times in 113 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYBoatman View Post
    Which of the 2 study guides are the better one to get? Or is there anything better then those 2?
    pm me and I will help in any way I can.

  11. #11
    backn98's Avatar
    backn98 is offline gCaptain Greenhorn
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pcola
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberRhib888 View Post
    Even if you take an approved course and pass their test, you still have to test at the REC for your license. Lapware is a very good study source, however, I didnt like the solutions portion of the tutorials. There is more than one way to skin a cat..and more than one way to get/obtain answers through various solutions. I am using Capt. Joe's, Hawsepipe.net, Murphy Books, and Seasources. I duplicated the REC test library with the exact books and pubs allowed in the exam room. I also have the Murphy Books in PDF format on my tablet. Buy Bowditch Vol Il!!!! MPT is over priced. It is a good school though. Try Sandwich Ship supply...they sell all the Murphy books and some of the pubs too. Good luck.
    How does Hawespipe.net CD compare to Capt Joe's? I'm about to buy one or the other.

  12. #12
    captobie is offline gCaptain Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts

    Default Re: Hawespipe.net or Thomasmarine.org??

    gCaptain Maritime Jobs
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBoatman View Post
    Do these site provide the math formulas u need to know for the 1600 ton? What about for terrestrial and celestial problems?
    Formulae for the Mariner is a great reference with virtually every formula you'll need in one place.

    http://www.amazon.com/Formulae-Marin.../dp/0870333615

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us
Privacy Policy 2015 Unofficial Networks LLC

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1