Thread: Master 500 Near Coastal to Oceans upgrade

greef is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Master 500 Near Coastal to Oceans upgrade

I recently got my Master 500 NC, and am wondering what exactly do I need to fulfill my switch to Oceans Endorsement? I think, from what I can gather, that I need to either test for Celestial (206XX module) or take an appropriate USCG approved class, and a Nav and Deck General test (207XX module) or USCG appropriate class.
    Also, a Rules of the Road test if I tested >12 months prior to my Oceans application. (although I have heard that the ROR test may have been discontinued as being required for the raise in grade I am seeking)
    Anyone have any latest news?

Share on Facebook

water is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I found the structure of a classroom helpful when I took the class last fall. We learned straight forward ways of sight reduction formulae with out using any sight reduction tables.

We did not need to re-test the RofR.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to water For This Useful Post:

greef (January 30th, 2013)

greef is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Re: Master 500 Near Coastal to Oceans upgrade

Thanks Water,

Did you take the supplemental Nav Gen for Oceans class as well?
    Share on Facebook

water is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

It was a three week class at L E Fletcher in Houma. Gale Williamson was the instructor, and he did a great job.

One of the units of the class would probably be the Oceans Nav you mentioned.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain
    Share on Facebook