Thread: The World’s Most Ridiculous Ship Is Up For Sale [UPDATE]

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,612 Posts

Default The World’s Most Ridiculous Ship Is Up For Sale [UPDATE]

I just realized with this hull, form SUSITNA would make a wonder floating trash picker upper. If you got the vessel cheap enough and a contract with a major port to keep the harbor swept of used condoms you could make a tidy little living. Anybody want to be in the garbage scow business with me?

“The world’s only planing, beaching, swath hulled ferry built at a hideously great expense ($80M+?) to the US Navy for a route to nowhere and a service that nobody wants”, is up for sale. At least that’s how “c.captain”, aka the U.S.-flag’s toughest supporter, describes it.

*UPDATE as of 1 Feb 2013* The ship is now being offered for free to any government entity which will take it, or for dirt cheap to the commercial sector

The vessel, named the MV Susitna, was constructed in 2010 at former Alaska Ship & Drydock in Ketchikan (now Vigor) at the request of the Office of Naval Research who was looking to test new designs that may someday work as military vessels. When construction began, the Susitna was to be owned and operated as a ferry in Alaska for the Matanuska-Susitna (Mat-Su) Borough providing service between Anchorage and Port Mackenzie while being assessed by the ONR. The only problem, however, was that there were no ferry terminals and the vessel never entered service. So now it’s up for sale!

The MV Susitna is unique in a number of ways and actually quite interesting. In the end it just didn’t work.

The design for the “expeditionary craft” was created by Guido Perla & Associates, Inc (GPA) and is based on a concept created by Lockheed Martin. It is a ABS-certified “E-Craft” that measures 59 meters in length and is capable of carrying 129 passengers, plus 20 vehicles or one tractor-trailer rig. The vessel also incorporates lift technology that will allow the ferry to change from the Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull (SWATH) mode to barge mode by lowering or raising its center deck. The vessel also built with an ice strengthened hull (the first-ever for a SWATH hull) and is beachable.

But what possibly could the Susitna be used for? We’re not sure, but someone mentioned that Shell fits the buyers profile. Who knows though, the E-Craft could be yours for an unspecified price. Check out the listing HERE.
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 624 Posts

That would be a good cover. I say this could be the c.captain marine command and control vessel.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Default Re: The World’s Most Ridiculous Ship Is Up For Sale [UPDATE]

Quote Originally Posted by Fraqrat View Post
    That would be a good cover. I say this could be the c.captain marine command and control vessel.

MAN! You are DAMNED GOOD! How'd you figure that out so fast?

I will say that being such a DAMNED GOOD member of the c.captain commando team, I'll let you be my chief. $50 bucks a day for your bunk and grub ok for you to pay?

Btw, I still need a powered dorsal turret with twin 50's out of a B-17 or B-24 in case anyone has one sitting in their garage they aren't using?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

WILE E. COYOTE...You GENIUS you!

We'll get SUSTINA and use her to go after Paul Watson. We'll start a non for profit to rid the earth of floating BOZO and get the gummint to give the boat to us!

It'll be perfect for us...afterall, Sea Shepard has that effing stoopid BRIGIT BIDET!
    Share on Facebook

PR-9 is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain View Post
    WILE E. COYOTE...You GENIUS you!

We'll get SUSTINA and use her to go after Paul Watson. We'll start a non for profit to rid the earth of floating BOZO and get the gummint to give the boat to us!

It'll be perfect for us...afterall, Sea Shepard has that effing stoopid BRIGIT BIDET!
    What would you call her? They got the Steve Irwin and Bob Barker. You have to come up with a Better name than SUSTINA! !
    Share on Facebook

injunear is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PR-9 View Post
    What would you call her? They got the Steve Irwin and Bob Barker. You have to come up with a Better name than SUSTINA! !
    CAPTAIN AHAB....of course.....
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PR-9 View Post
    she'll be the DEATHMOBILE of course!

RAMMING SPEED!

I want to be D-Day Simpson when I grow up!
    Share on Facebook

tillettso is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Shouldn't it be just the opposite. Sell it cheap to any government and free to the commercial sector. I mean didn't the working class already flip the bill already.
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tillettso For This Useful Post:

Traitor Yankee (February 2nd, 2013)

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 580 Posts

It will probably end up as a training vessel at KP.
    Share on Facebook

Traitor Yankee is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tugsailor
    It will probably end up as a training vessel at KP.
    They'll have towing, dp, high speed ferries and ice breaking! How will any school compete!
    Share on Facebook