Oufitting Superintendent for Seagoing Barges (Swan Island)
<hr> Date: 2010-03-22, 3:43PM PDT
Reply to: firstname.lastname@example.org <sup>[Errors when replying to ads?]</sup>
March 22, 2010
U.S. Barge LLC is an innovative barge manufacturer based in the Pacific Northwest. From ocean-going to inland barges, we use advanced technology and specialized manufacturing to meet our customer’s needs. Construction and launching occurs on the Willamette River, in Portland, Oregon. World War II tankers were built at our facility - today our company continues to build on that tradition. Our workforce takes pride in turning out the highest quality barges on the market.
We own some of the largest infrastructure in the barge-building market. Our oversize facility gives us the capability to fabricate and deliver any type of barge that our customers desire. Our highly automated work processes increase worker safety while maximizing quality and throughput.
Building on our participating companies’ experience in the marine industry, U.S. Barge offers innovative solutions for rugged products. We are adding to our team an experienced Outfitting Superintendent.
In this position you will oversee the employees (varies from 3-20 person crew) on the outfitting crew to ensure proper installation of such equipment and production milestones are met based on production schedule. And be responsible for procurement of appropriate hydraulic systems, valves, mechanical equipment, pumps, electrical, cranes, etc. during the construction of sea going vessels. Your ability to effectively influence decisions through respectful interactions with others both within the Company and with external contacts will be essential in this role.
• Understand, promote and adhere to a Safety First culture by following safety guidelines and requirements at all times, understanding and properly utilizing the appropriate personal protective equipment for each situation.
• Supervise a crew of multiple union trades personnel
• Procure and participate in the proper installation of mechanical, electrical, piping, deck equipment, hydraulics, etc. for a broad and diverse assortment of marine vessel types.
• Utilizing the input of all other crafts, develop plans and schedules to include all items for outfitting marine vessels which will be incorporated into a master production schedule and ensure milestones are met.
• Create a complete bill of material (BOM) based on drawings, develop a request for information (RFI) to clarify the contract specifications to ensure appropriate equipment and material have been identified and write a detailed request for quote (RFQ) and obtain quotes from different vendors to determine the best pricing, etc.
• Partner with the purchasing department to ensure materials are ordered on time to keep the production schedule on track.
• Interact with design engineers to ensure proper placement of materials and to clarify installation issues.
• Develop detailed change orders to include the cost which are submitted to US Barge document control throughout the construction project.
• Develop, implement and maintain equipment start up procedures to prevent damage to equipment.
• Create acceptance sea trial procedures for submittal to Quality Control department.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND AND SKILLS:
• Minimum 10 years experience in new construction or repair of vessel outfitting (mechanical, electrical, hydraulics, valves, piping)
• Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience
• Understanding of hydraulic equipment installation of engine and electrical driven hydraulic pumps
• Computer skills which includes mastery of MS Excel and Outlook as well as intermediate skills of Auto CAD
• Ability to assist with electrical equipment installation of lighting, panel boards, power distribution panels, generators, wire ways, cable installation and tagging
• Strong leadership experience and the demonstrated ability to achieve results by teaming with and influencing others; confidence and judgment to accept and thrive in the challenges of an evolving organization
• Ability to work independently and under high pressure
The physical demands for this position are exposure to loud noises, frequent walking, climbing, bending, stooping and crawling in confined spaces. This position will need to have familiarity with computers for keyboarding and office software applications. Work is performed in a wide variety of environments including heights of 20 feet or more, small and/or confined spaces, and outdoors in all weather conditions. Will routinely bend, twist, kneel, walk, climb, and reach for 1-12 hours per day. Will sit, stand, and walk for 1-12 hours per day. Will endure noise, fumes, dust, and inclement weather. Must be able to lift and carry 1-80 lbs throughout the day. Must be able to push or pull up to 75 lbs and safely wear a respirator when needed.
• Family benefits only $50 a month, with very short waiting period
• 401k with match, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance and EAP
Qualified candidates may send their resume and cover letter to Daava Mills at recruiter@USBarge.com. Please put "Outfitting Superintendent" in the subject line.
We welcome qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace.
<!-- START CLTAGS -->