Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to the merchant seaman ind

duval322 is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Default new to the merchant seaman ind

i just got my mmd card, twic but cant get my passport. i went to a small school here in jacksonville fl i have os, wiper, stewards dept (fh) endorsements trying to get pointed in the rite direction any help will do. thank u all....
    Share on Facebook

PaddyWest2012 is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: new to the merchant seaman ind

Quote Originally Posted by duval322 View Post
    i just got my mmd card, twic but cant get my passport. i went to a small school here in jacksonville fl i have os, wiper, stewards dept (fh) endorsements trying to get pointed in the rite direction any help will do. thank u all....
    Gentlemen with a far less polite tone than I will probably tell you, and again like I said using far more vulgarity than I am now, that you are the 999,999,999,999th person to ask such a question on this forum. They will also tell you that if you use the search function, either right here on the forum or via google including the term "gCaptain," you will undoubtedly find the answers you are looking for without making the good people of gCaptain tell the same career-starter stories that they have already told so many times before. I wish you luck in your endeavors and welcome you to this industry, but please do tread softly, for your own sake.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..."
    As I was a walkin' down London Road I come to Paddy West's house. He gave me a feed of "American hash" and he called it "Liverpool Scouse". He said, "There's a ship who's wantin' hands, and on 'er ye'll quickly sign! The mate is a bastard, the bos'un's worse but she will suit ye' fine!
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaddyWest2012 For This Useful Post:

c.captain (February 24th, 2013), Fraqrat (February 24th, 2013), seadog6608 (February 24th, 2013)

seadog6608 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Why can you not get a passport? If you have legal troubles preventing you from getting one, those same legal problems will follow you in the industry and seriously deter you from getting employment.
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 574 Posts

Its easier to briefly point these guys in the right direction than it is to have 30 posts back and forth about why they didn't use the search function.

Search for "knocking on doors in the bayou" in the upper right corner of this forum. Just go with your bags packed ready to sail, and go door to door at the boat companies until you get a job. There are plenty of jobs with small companies that do not require a passport (It might be good to have some proof of your social security number). Always ask the HR people who interview you "What can I do to improve my chances of finding my first job on a boat." Use the search function or Google for more info.
    Share on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tugsailor For This Useful Post:

Pikuptruk (February 24th, 2013)

Jetryder223 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Hi everyone. I am new too. I spent last summer fishing on my Dads SeaRay and decided that I want a career at see. My cousin says semen make a lot of money and only have to work 6 months a year. I like that. So what is the best way to become a merchant marine?

I don't have any money but I can work hard. Think I want to work for a cruise line cuz they go to cool places and I am good with the ladies.

After a year at see, I want to move up to harbor pilot cuz they make lots of money too and they can be home every nite for dinner. I really don't want to spend a lot of time away from home after my first year.

Please give me name, address, phone number to 10 hiring managers who's companys pay the most. You can PM me if you want to keep your contacts secret.
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jetryder223 For This Useful Post:

BargeMonkey (February 24th, 2013), Bayrunner (February 25th, 2013), c.captain (February 24th, 2013), captaint76 (February 24th, 2013), Captain_Ramon27 (February 25th, 2013), captrob (February 24th, 2013), coldduck (February 24th, 2013), Fraqrat (February 24th, 2013), Jolly Tar (March 1st, 2013), PaddyWest2012 (February 24th, 2013), seadog6608 (February 24th, 2013), trvlerjenn (March 1st, 2013), tugsailor (February 24th, 2013)

Mullet Farm is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

NY Harbor work doesn't require a passport and pays well. With TWIC and MMD you can find a deckhand job probably within a week of door banging on Staten Island. Also try Hughes Marine (bridge construction) in Red Hook , Brooklyn. Be ready to start immediately.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

You can always just throw in with any old union and wait for something to pop up on the board, although your passport troubles might become prohibitive in that respect, but you might get lucky too.
    As I was a walkin' down London Road I come to Paddy West's house. He gave me a feed of "American hash" and he called it "Liverpool Scouse". He said, "There's a ship who's wantin' hands, and on 'er ye'll quickly sign! The mate is a bastard, the bos'un's worse but she will suit ye' fine!
    Share on Facebook

Jetryder223 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

What do we need to do to get John to make the following thread a "Sticky"?

http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-e...-cadets-2.html
    Share on Facebook

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jetryder223 For This Useful Post:

catherder (February 24th, 2013), PaddyWest2012 (February 24th, 2013), seadog6608 (February 24th, 2013)

Thanks

Cool Re: new to the merchant seaman ind

iam working on the passport no major problems just got to pay a large some of money before i can get it. but will get where i can until i can take care of it. thank u all for the answers.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jetryder223 View Post
    what do we need to do to get john to make the following thread a "sticky"?

http://gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-e...-cadets-2.html
    True. Life. Story.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mullet Farm View Post
    NY Harbor work doesn't require a passport and pays well. With TWIC and MMD you can find a deckhand job probably within a week of door banging on Staten Island. Also try Hughes Marine (bridge construction) in Red Hook , Brooklyn. Be ready to start immediately.
    thank u for the help....
    Share on Facebook

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Try the inland boatmen union also. They have a website and they will send you paperwork to fill out to get on the dispatch list.
    VOTE NO INCUMBENTS!
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast