Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NOAA jobs

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default NOAA jobs

I just applied for the General Vessel Assistant (entry level) and the Oiler jobs which close out 31 Jan.

Has anyone here been recently hired? Are there actual vacancies or are they now just collecting applications at this point?

I hope to hear from them soon. I don't take my RFPEW assessment class till next month and I mentioned that in my resume so I hope that's not an automatic disqualifier (they don't state that it's a mandatory requirement).

If you work for NOAA, how do you like it? Thanks all.
    Share on Facebook

chris_os is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catherder
    I just applied for the General Vessel Assistant (entry level) and the Oiler jobs which close out 31 Jan.

Has anyone here been recently hired? Are there actual vacancies or are they now just collecting applications at this point?

I hope to hear from them soon. I don't take my RFPEW assessment class till next month and I mentioned that in my resume so I hope that's not an automatic disqualifier (they don't state that it's a mandatory requirement).

If you work for NOAA, how do you like it? Thanks all.
    I been emailing the guy Thomas he said they will start hiring in a couple weeks
    Share on Facebook

liftedlimo is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Re: NOAA jobs

I worked for NOAA as a Wiper, getting my Oiler. If you search my previous posts you will find my honest opinion of them in several long paragraphs. The short and sweet version: NOAA is a fun place to work, NOAA work schedules are the worst ever, NOAA was the lowest paid job I have ever had, NOAA doesnt have very much upwards mobility for top spots, so after a few years upgrading your license you max out at an incredibly low wage you could of been making since you started anywhere else as a wiper, NOAA is always hiring for a reason. I worked for them for something like 188 days; I needed 180 days for get my RFPEW signed off. I would love to go back but until they triple their wages and work equal time I wont even think about it.
    Share on Facebook

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liftedlimo For This Useful Post:

catherder (January 24th, 2013), seadog6608 (February 10th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liftedlimo View Post
    I worked for NOAA as a Wiper, getting my Oiler. If you search my previous posts you will find my honest opinion of them in several long paragraphs. The short and sweet version: NOAA is a fun place to work, NOAA work schedules are the worst ever, NOAA was the lowest paid job I have ever had, NOAA doesnt have very much upwards mobility for top spots, so after a few years upgrading your license you max out at an incredibly low wage you could of been making since you started anywhere else as a wiper, NOAA is always hiring for a reason. I worked for them for something like 188 days; I needed 180 days for get my RFPEW signed off. I would love to go back but until they triple their wages and work equal time I wont even think about it.
    I appreciate the reply. I took a look at the wage scale and I'd be taking a 50 percent pay cut from the shore job I have now. I can deal with that for a short period of time. I guess I'm anxious about getting hired anywhere because of my age (>50) and because it's been 20 years since I sailed last, so I am willing to start just about anywhere. I'll take a look at your posts. Again, thanks.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris_os View Post
    I been emailing the guy Thomas he said they will start hiring in a couple weeks
    Thanks. Did you apply also? Good luck.
    Share on Facebook

MariaW is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    I appreciate the reply. I took a look at the wage scale and I'd be taking a 50 percent pay cut from the shore job I have now. I can deal with that for a short period of time. I guess I'm anxious about getting hired anywhere because of my age (>50) and because it's been 20 years since I sailed last, so I am willing to start just about anywhere. I'll take a look at your posts. Again, thanks.
    Don't tell them your age and make it difficult for them to figure out. It's illegal for them to ask anyway. You don't have to put every job you worked on your resume. Here are some good tips about how to achieve a resume that won't make you look too old: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/tipsfo...rjobseeker.htm Chances are no one will see you in person before you get hired anyway so they won't be able to guess base on looks.
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaW For This Useful Post:

catherder (January 27th, 2013)

chris_os is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catherder

Thanks. Did you apply also? Good luck.
    Yes I applied back in November
    Share on Facebook

BroSum is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I also applied for it a few months ago, the status says application referred to selecting official..Not really sure whats next but I guess I will find out.. Good luck to you guys thats also trying to get hired..
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariaW View Post
    Don't tell them your age and make it difficult for them to figure out. It's illegal for them to ask anyway. You don't have to put every job you worked on your resume. Here are some good tips about how to achieve a resume that won't make you look too old: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/tipsfo...rjobseeker.htm Chances are no one will see you in person before you get hired anyway so they won't be able to guess base on looks.
    I appreciate that. Only thing is I had to upload my DD-214 so I could claim veterans preference, so they know. Oh well.
    Share on Facebook

MariaW is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Next time if I were you, I would "smudge" the dates using photoshop. You know those scanners don't always work so well heheh. If you're lucky, the lazy person checking the application won't think to scrutinize the veteran's form.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

I know what you mean, but this is a gov't job...and you can't bs them about numbers.
    Share on Facebook

Clear Solution is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Sure you can... Our gov't smudges he numbers everyday.
    Share on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear Solution For This Useful Post:

catherder (February 10th, 2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast