Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are there never any jobs in the deck department posted for NCL and MSC?

MariaW is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Why are there never any jobs in the deck department posted for NCL and MSC?

The two job recruiting websites I've been watching for over a year are Norwegian Cruise Lines, the only cruise ship in the U.S. subject to the Jones Act (requiring U.S. citizens to be hired), and Military Sealift Command. There are NEVER deck jobs listed, neither OS or AB. Does anyone know why? Are these jobs being filled through some other channel? There are plenty of other jobs listed all the time that you can apply for, like engineering, steward, etc., but deck is conspicuously absent.
    Share on Facebook

DeckApe is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

As to MSC it's because so many people hire in as entry level steward department, move into deck and advance threw the ranks that there is little need.

NCL unlicensed deck is crewed by SIU so check the boards in the hall.
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DeckApe For This Useful Post:

Horatio (March 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Why are there never any jobs in the deck department posted for NCL and MSC?

Quote Originally Posted by DeckApe View Post
    As to MSC it's because so many people hire in as entry level steward department, move into deck and advance threw the ranks that there is little need.

NCL unlicensed deck is crewed by SIU so check the boards in the hall.
    Does SIU have an exclusive contract with MSC too? I know the SIU school at Piney Point places people with MSC during their apprenticeship program...

I don't understand the way these unions operate. The jobs that NCL advertise online are all union, so why are the non-deck jobs shown, while the deck jobs aren't?

Also, I didn't know you could start out in the steward department and easily move into deck from there.
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Why are there never any jobs in the deck department posted for NCL and MSC?

Officers with NCL have a clause in the union contract that says they can hire on their own. SIU probably doesn't have that clause and you would have to ship off the board.
    Share on Facebook

seacomber is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

[QUOTE=MariaW;95743]Does SIU have an exclusive contract with MSC too? I know the SIU school at Piney Point places people with MSC during their apprenticeship program...

I don't understand the way these unions operate. The jobs that NCL advertise online are all union, so why are the non-deck jobs shown, while the deck jobs aren't?

Also, I didn't know you could start out in the steward department and easily move into deck from there.[/QUOTE SIU is union, MSC is non-union. With either one, you can start in the steward dept. and move to deck. MSC gives you more time to decide, as always performance and support from within the ship helps. SIU has rules against switching departments, it has been allowed but only if you are a new entrant. MSC has not hired any new AB's for over a year because they are filling that need by advancing OS's. I have recently been told that MSC's AB's shouldn't expect to leave and get re-hired as in the past, they just aren't hiring them now.
    Share on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seacomber For This Useful Post:

MariaW (March 15th, 2013)

seadog6608 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

SIU is more of a temporary hiring service than a union. We have always referred to them as, "Scabs Is Us".
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seadog6608 For This Useful Post:

catherder (March 15th, 2013), dredgeboater (March 22nd, 2013), SaltySailor (March 22nd, 2013), Tugs (January 23rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seacomber View Post
    SIU is union, MSC is non-union. With either one, you can start in the steward dept. and move to deck. MSC gives you more time to decide, as always performance and support from within the ship helps. SIU has rules against switching departments, it has been allowed but only if you are a new entrant. MSC has not hired any new AB's for over a year because they are filling that need by advancing OS's. I have recently been told that MSC's AB's shouldn't expect to leave and get re-hired as in the past, they just aren't hiring them now.
    Well, here's a question, what about new OS's? I recently saw an MSC tanker dock, and there were at least 10 guys on deck, not a single woman, and half of them were more fluent in a foreign language than English. One of them even shouted an instruction in what sounded like Filipino. They were all middle-aged. So where does the MSC hire their deckhands? If they were all transfered from the steward's department, where are the women? Why doesn't it say on the site that this is the route you must go? This was not the first time I saw an MSC ship. The last one I saw had no women on deck either. What gives?
    Share on Facebook

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariaW View Post
    Well, here's a question, what about new OS's? I recently saw an MSC tanker dock, and there were at least 10 guys on deck, not a single woman, and half of them were more fluent in a foreign language than English. One of them even shouted an instruction in what sounded like Filipino. They were all middle-aged. So where does the MSC hire their deckhands? If they were all transfered from the steward's department, where are the women? Why doesn't it say on the site that this is the route you must go? This was not the first time I saw an MSC ship. The last one I saw had no women on deck either. What gives?
    Which ship? Some are contract operated and hire through the unions. Others are crewed by civmars and are hired directly by the government.

Also, as you have observed, many crew originate overseas. However, they are US citizens, as they have to hold a US MMC and get a security clearance.

There are plenty of women working on MSC ships, don't be discouraged by a brief example.

Have you submitted an application?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    Which ship? Some are contract operated and hire through the unions. Others are crewed by civmars and are hired directly by the government.

Also, as you have observed, many crew originate overseas. However, they are US citizens, as they have to hold a US MMC and get a security clearance.

There are plenty of women working on MSC ships, don't be discouraged by a brief example.

I was wondering if maybe all OS deckhands are contracted through a private company. The ship was a "USNS" but I forgot the name. If you go to the website, you can see that you can only submit an application for jobs that are posted, which is what led me to post this thread in the first place. The OS jobs are never posted. In fact, I called a recruiter who confirmed they haven't posted an OS job in years, although they frequently post Steward/Utility and Wiper jobs. She only could tell me they post jobs according to MSC's needs, and that you could take training classes to move up to be an OS (?). (sorry, sounded like she didn't know what she was talking about) So this whole thing is mystifying to me. How could they never need OSs in years? They certainly don't make it easy for a potential recruit to figure out how to get into their service doing an entry-level deck job.
    Share on Facebook

seacomber is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post

There ARE plenty of women working on MSC and SIU ships. All U.S. sailors must speak english, what you heard is an example of how some of our sailors find it easier to use a language they are familiar with. Not good, because everyone on deck should be speaking the same language. Why there were no women on THAT deck could have many different reasons. From what I have seen in MSC, at some point men and women have a choice between watchstanding or daywork and word spreads quickly where the better place to be is, depends on the ship. In the union, you will find women in all positions of the deck department because those ships run a smaller crew. Discrimination, pollution and sexual harassment are closely guarded against by most companies, knowing this has worked to the benefit of some and angst of others.
    Share on Facebook

SaltySailor is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariaW View Post
    I was wondering if maybe all OS deckhands are contracted through a private company. The ship was a "USNS" but I forgot the name. If you go to the website, you can see that you can only submit an application for jobs that are posted, which is what led me to post this thread in the first place. The OS jobs are never posted. In fact, I called a recruiter who confirmed they haven't posted an OS job in years, although they frequently post Steward/Utility and Wiper jobs. She only could tell me they post jobs according to MSC's needs, and that you could take training classes to move up to be an OS (?). (sorry, sounded like she didn't know what she was talking about) So this whole thing is mystifying to me. How could they never need OSs in years? They certainly don't make it easy for a potential recruit to figure out how to get into their service doing an entry-level deck job.
    SIU UA Program Piney Point MD, Apply today!
    Share on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SaltySailor For This Useful Post:

Mike23 (March 17th, 2013)

MattyB is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

One reason for the lack of open deck opportunities as opposed to engineering opportunities is because engineers have an easier time to transition ashore. Their skills are more marketable as opposed to a Deck Hand who really can only be a deck hand.
    Share on Facebook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MattyB For This Useful Post:

SaltySailor (March 15th, 2013)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast