Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vane Brothers

mjohn1 is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Default Vane Brothers

Hey Guys:

Can anyone give me the rundown about Vane Brothers? I am a recent graduate of a Maritime College as a Third Mate and was looking into a few inshore companies particularly Vane Brothers. Before starting you as a Tug Mate I believe they make you a deckhand. What is the starting salary as a deckhand? Benefits? Work Schedule? Their seemed to be very limited as to what they were showing on their website.

Any other good companies inshore that are hiring I should look into?

Thanks!
    Share on Facebook

ForkandBlade is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: Vane Brothers

Vane Brothers is a very employee friendly company, with average tug pay scales. I wouldn't classify them as an inshore company as they do coastal towing, bunkering, lightering and have some ATB's. Most of their boats work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but there are other schedules. I have a lot of friends that work there and I have heard them complain about the cost of medical ( I don't know the figure). They had a newbuild program recently and chances of getting on a newer tug are good.
    Is there a reason you are looking to go into towing? I would think right now, the hot job is to get on an OSV and get DP certified, better pay, benefits and room for advancement into other areas of the maritime industry like drilling and such.
    Share on Facebook

Mullet Farm is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Deckhands in NY Harbor with little commercial experience can target $200 a day, 2 weeks on 2 off (expect to be asked to ride over occasionally to cover staffing gaps), health/dental/401(k) after 3 months.
    Share on Facebook

Tugted is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

You'll be working deck for a good bit & then you need to complete a TOAR. You need to crawl before you walk
    Share on Facebook

z-drive is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Unless someone there really likes you I'd avoid vane. That is unless you want to deck for years or don't have what it takes to steer. Know too many people who either didn't get the chance or waited years for it.

They seem to hoard licensed deckhands to allow an ample supply "someday."

The impression i got was I'd be on deck for a few years there too, even with tug captain time.

Not comfortable that very little of their new equipment is pinned either.
    Share on Facebook

ForkandBlade is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

I must know over 50 guys working there and have no interest on leaving. They must be doing something right over there. Most have advanced in positions also!
    Share on Facebook

z-drive is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Most of the people I know there do like it but it just seems like a slow place to advance. Seems like most of the NE is that way though. Just speaking from personal experience
    Share on Facebook

Tugted is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Most of those guys are from Tangier as well.
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tugted For This Useful Post:

z-drive (January 16th, 2013)

Bayrunner is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Go on down to the gulf and make the big bucks. Leave the tuggin to us hawsepipers. .
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bayrunner For This Useful Post:

RubberRhib888 (January 17th, 2013)

Tampamariner is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

The health benefits are good but cost 375$ a month for family. I don't remember the 401k contribution. And its an awesome company to work for. Os make 227$ a day. Ab 247$. Mates and capn and engineer pay is based on the size boat they put you on. And they give sea pay also. Whenever your outside of Delaware or Chesapeake bay you get 10% more a day
    Share on Facebook

Tampamariner is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

And they do advance people. Most of the licensed deckhands I worked with didn't try hard to get up to the wheelhouse. They had all their stuff but didn't really put their name out there and were lazy too. So long as you actually do a good job and make a name for you and get your capn to talk to the port capn they will advance you
    Share on Facebook

chgonyer is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

I used to work there, pretty decent people and good to the employee. But it is a case of the tail wagging the dog, many many levels of managment and helpers to go thru if you need help with something. I was a tankerman so didnt worry to much about the advancment, but I do know you had to apply for the advancement program and that they oinly took a few guys a year to the program. Lots of deckhands with their tickets waiting and waiting and waiting for a shot at either tman or mate. but there are worse places to sit around waiting for the perfect job. Lots of tangerines work there, and they seem to be very clicky.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast