Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qmed qualifications??

drod2214 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Qmed qualifications??

Hello everyone I have some questions I was wondering if some people could help me with. I recently just got out the navy as an engine man and now am trying to get a job doing merchant work. Is it hard to get qmed qualified? And is there any specific rating I should test for if I want to work on emd 645 diesel?
    Share on Facebook

Tampamariner is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I don't think there are any different ratings for qmeds. But you do need to have rfpew. Rating for performance in am engineering watch. Its a 5 day course and after the course you need yo get signed off by someone who has at least a DDe unlimited license. And you also need to get signed off on centrifuges. And not every vessel has one.
    Share on Facebook

Tampamariner is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

You also need 60 sea days after you take the class before you can send the rfpew sign off sheet to the rec. Then once you get the okay from the REC you can take the test for the qmed. And you need 120 sea days before you take the qmed test. But you can use your sea time from the navy
    Share on Facebook

Tuglyfe33 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

RFPEW: Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch.
    Share on Facebook

Kingrobby is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Also, if the vessel or vessels you get signed off on doesn't have a heavy fuel oil purifier, your RFPEW will be limited to "vessels without a auxiliary or waste heat boiler". That's what I have.

I am pretty sure that a DDE Unlimited isn't high enough to sign off on the assessments. I remember when I was going through all this that it had to be a 2nd A/E unlimited, but a Chief Engineer Limited was okay too. I had both of those sign off on my assessments. Never heard DDE Unlimited was okay. I would double check that.
    Ship Engines - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbynorman/sets/72157603921324598/
    Ships around the World - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbynorman/sets/72157606763159635/
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Default Re: Qmed qualifications??

Ok well I was on a nuclear aircraft carrier prior to getting out of the navy. Where I worked in the auxiliary department, would that suffice as the engineer watch that you are talking about , if not do you know how I could go about getting it? How did u get qualified?? Oh and by the way thanks a lot for helping me with this process....
    Share on Facebook

ChiefRob is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tampamariner View Post
    I don't think there are any different ratings for qmeds. But you do need to have rfpew. Rating for performance in am engineering watch. Its a 5 day course and after the course you need yo get signed off by someone who has at least a DDe unlimited license. And you also need to get signed off on centrifuges. And not every vessel has one.
    There are 10 different ratings for a qmed. If you are going to test, it would be in your best interest to go for qmed all endorsments. It will only help you in the future

QMED - Oiler, Fireman/Watertender, Junior Engineer, Refrigerating Engineer, Deck Engineer, Electrician, Machinist, OR Pumpman Six months (180 days) service in the engine room on vessels working in the capacity of at least equal to Wiper.

QMED - Deck Engine Mechanic While holding rating of QMED-Junior Engineer:
    1. Six months (180 days) service as QMED-Junior Engineer on steam vessels of at least 4,000 horsepower,
    OR
    2. Satisfactory completion of at least 4 weeks of indoctrination and training in the engine department of an automated steam vessel of at least 4,000 horsepower.

QMED - Engineman While holding rating of QMED - Fireman/Watertender and Oiler, or Junior Engineer:
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChiefRob For This Useful Post:

SaltySailor (February 28th, 2013)

Thanks

Also all this information is in the CFR's most in chapter 46 engineers license structure. If you are going to be in this business you will need to learn how to navigate the CFR's, so might as well start now. They will answer most of your questions once you figure out where to look.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Now I have another question with all of your guyses experience and years in would you suggest I go to a maritime school first to get a license and if I did that how long of schooling do you think that would take? Or should I just get my qmed and start now?
    Share on Facebook

LI_Domer is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

If you're thinking of going to a state Maritime Academy, for your unlimited engineering license, just be prepared to take hard math classes like calc 3, and others. I'm not sure what all they take because I went deck. But take a look through the degree program. Remember they're giving you an engineering degree, not just the license. How long it takes all depends on you, but it is a heavier credit load for both deck and engine than other Bachelor's degrees.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Ook so you went to school to be on the deck side because before I was an engine man I was a 3 rd class boatswains mate. If I went to school to be on the deck side, is the schooling hard and how much do they make annually if you don't mind me asking?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drod2214 View Post
    Now I have another question with all of your guyses experience and years in would you suggest I go to a maritime school first to get a license and if I did that how long of schooling do you think that would take? Or should I just get my qmed and start now?
    Navy sea time is a funny thing. You have to have the proper documentation, saying what, when, and where you stood a watch at. From some of the other guys I have seen post on here, it is a pain in the a$$ to get the proper paper work. Then it is up to the NMC on weather it counts. Either way it will only be partial credit toward a licnese or rating. I can't speak much about navy sea time. About as close as I have been to being in the Navy is visiting the USS Alabama, on my days off.

If you go to a maritime academy or chose to hawse pipe it is roughly the same amount of time to get to the goal of havin a 3 A/E. Basically 4 years depending on how many days you work.

The difference is hawse pipe no school tuition to repay, but no degree to fall back on after you decide to quit sailing.

Hawse pipe is just work, and more work, the chance to poke fun at the academy guys. and if your lucky a card board box to retire in after 40 years.

K.P. is the only federal school, it is free tuition, but you have to do navy reserve duty, and there is a age limit to get in as well. the State schools you have to pay for just like any other college.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast