Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDMVT and Compass Error

bensmiata is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Default CDMVT and Compass Error

So I have always been confused about this, not the concept, just where to get CDMVT from. Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True then use GET- Gyro East Error (Add) True . For example what compass do you use for Compass in CDMVT? Magnetic is obviously the standard compass and true is gotten from the difference between magnetic and variation adding east and subtracting west. Deviation is the error between the Compass and magnetic and variation is from the chart correct? I know these are basics, I just never asked the questions when I should have when initially learning it. Thank you.
    Share on Facebook

BlueNose is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

bensmiata,
    It's a tool...

Example1:
    How can you quickly tell if your gyro has shit the bed...CDMVT. If your Dev. if drastically +/- than what your Dev. table states...something is wrong then.

Example2:
    TVMDC...Wow, I bet that just blew your mind

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    BlueNose
    Share on Facebook

Siberfire is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

So I have always been confused about this, not the concept, just where to get CDMVT from. Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True then use GET- Gyro East Error (Add) True . For example what compass do you use for Compass in CDMVT? Magnetic is obviously the standard compass and true is gotten from the difference between magnetic and variation adding east and subtracting west. Deviation is the error between the Compass and magnetic and variation is from the chart correct? I know these are basics, I just never asked the questions when I should have when initially learning it. Thank you.
    C- Compass on the boat. Normally PSC (per standard compass) one that is outside of the pilot house (to decrease potential deviation)

D- Deviation induced from the ship itself, the steel hull, electronics, etc. Deviation is different for each and every ship.

M- Magnetic is where the compass would point if there is no deviation at all from the ship.

Variation- Is the same for all ships in an area, it is found in the compass rose. It is the difference in degrees from the True north pole and the magnetic north pole.

True- The physical north pole. This is the most correct direction you can use.

GE - Gyro Error

G- Where the gyro points

CDMVT AE - Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections (add east)

The above is when you are correcting, from the least correct (compass) to most correct (true) you add any EAST variation and deviation. Subtract West.

If you cant tell I just spent the last 3 weeks studying this! Hope it helps.
    Share on Facebook

bensmiata is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Siberfire View Post
    C- Compass on the boat. Normally PSC (per standard compass) one that is outside of the pilot house (to decrease potential deviation)

D- Deviation induced from the ship itself, the steel hull, electronics, etc. Deviation is different for each and every ship.

M- Magnetic is where the compass would point if there is no deviation at all from the ship.

Variation- Is the same for all ships in an area, it is found in the compass rose. It is the difference in degrees from the True north pole and the magnetic north pole.

True- The physical north pole. This is the most correct direction you can use.

GE - Gyro Error

G- Where the gyro points

CDMVT AE - Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections (add east)

The above is when you are correcting, from the least correct (compass) to most correct (true) you add any EAST variation and deviation. Subtract West.

If you cant tell I just spent the last 3 weeks studying this! Hope it helps.

So from what I'm getting use a gyro repeater outside on a bridge wing for compass, magnetic for M and variation from the chart?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

LOL, the gyro is used to obtain a True heading. You just need to CORRECT it to True (that is, take into account Gyro Error, which should be known)

To get compass can either just look at your compass, but I wouldnt use it to chart with, you have to CORRECT the compass reading to get magnetic (you can use that) or go up to True using the local variation.

Read either Duttons: Navigation and Piloting or download Bowditch and take a look at the "compass" section.
    Share on Facebook

CMA_Decky is offline Old Salt Greenhorn
    Thanks

True Virgins Make Dull Companions, Add Whiskey (add west) :-)
    Share on Facebook

BlueNose is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

My bad, I thought you understood how calculate Can Dead Men Vote Twice and just wanted to know when to apply in real life situations.

You need to open up Pub 9 or 226.
    Share on Facebook

10talents is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

I like "True Virgins Make Dull Company" +Wiskey". Hey, my instructor was female what else can I say.
    Share on Facebook

jdcavo is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bensmiata View Post
    So from what I'm getting use a gyro repeater outside on a bridge wing for compass, magnetic for M and variation from the chart?
    Maybe I should leave those compass error questions on the 3rd Mate exam for a while...
    James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMA_Decky View Post
    True Virgins Make Dull Companions, Add Whiskey (add west) :-)

LOL, that is so much better than our...

True Virgins Make Dull Companions, At Weddings

As a side note, my good friend a female cadet (read this as a smoking hot blonde) is also a big whiskey drinker. We will have fun with this one!
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdcavo View Post
    Maybe I should leave those compass error questions on the 3rd Mate exam for a while...

Bring them on! If you have ever met the nav instructor Bobby Mason at GLMA you know that we will know our corrections... or die of boredom trying!
    Share on Facebook

CMA_Decky is offline Old Salt Greenhorn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdcavo View Post
    Please do, I'd rather keep the nice fluffy correction questions on there then you guys get creative with new material.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast