Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merchant mariner schooling?

drod2214 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Merchant mariner schooling?

Hello everyone I have been reading through a lot of your threads and just have a quick question. How long is the average mariner schooling like say if I went to the one in Maine? I am vey new at this and just got out the navy as an engine man and would like to use my post 9/11 gi bill to go to one of these school I just don't know to much about them. Thank you for your time.
    Share on Facebook

captaint76 is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Four to five years. Thanks for your service.
    Share on Facebook

MFOWelectrician is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Are you planning to get your qmed, or do you want to go or your license?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Well I just recently got my twic card and sent the application to Miami with my sea service transcripts to Miami to try to get my approved to test letter to become qmed qualified but I would also like to get my license . How long would it take to get my license if I wanted to get it? And obviously you get paid more with a license rater than bein just qmed qualified right?
    Share on Facebook

MFOWelectrician is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drod2214
    Well I just recently got my twic card and sent the application to Miami with my sea service transcripts to Miami to try to get my approved to test letter to become qmed qualified but I would also like to get my license . How long would it take to get my license if I wanted to get it? And obviously you get paid more with a license rater than bein just qmed qualified right?
    Making more as a licensed officer? Generally yes. I'm not sure about your navy time for exam taking. I needed 180 days wiper time to take my qmed. You then need 3 years qmed time to sit for your thirds.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

I am planning on getting my license but want to know of some good school to go to ? And also is it hard to accepted to those schools??
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Merchant mariner schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by drod2214 View Post
    I am planning on getting my license but want to know of some good school to go to ? And also is it hard to accepted to those schools??
    The USCG, Congress, the maritime academies, and their alumnae have worked very hard for a very long time to stack the deck against hawsepipers, and give every possible advantage to academy grads. They have been very successful.

Kings Point is difficult to get into, but one would hope that veteran would have an advantage. The state maritime academies take just about everyone.

I highly recommend going to an academy --- if you can.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Tugsailor when u say academy could you be a little more specific. I know I might be asking a very stupid questions but I am new to a lot of this. Could you name some accredited academies I could attend and would accept my gi bill for tuition?
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,327 Times in 590 Posts

Massachusetts Maritime Academy

Maine Maritime Academy

State University New York Maritime

California Maritime Academy

Texas Maritime Academy

Great Lakes Maritime Academy

Just type maritime academy in your search engine!
    Share on Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fraqrat For This Useful Post:

tugsailor (January 9th, 2013)

LI_Domer is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

They're all 4 year degree programs with your unlimited license.
    Share on Facebook

RONIN 45acp is offline gCaptain Greenhorn
    Thanks

Question Re: Merchant mariner schooling?

I hope you don't mind me butting in with a question, but I'm new here and your question in on the lines of mine.

I was with the DOD and now that contracts are getting harder to come by, an acquaintance suggested that I join the Merchant Mariners. He was with the SIU and told me to give them a call and so I did; I'm now at Phase 2 of the application process for the Unlicensed Apprentice Program.

My question is, is the SIU a good school? I'm in Florida, are there other options? ' I'm in my mid to late 30's, am I too old to see decent advancement? I made great money with the DOD, $120K+ year, is the money comparable?

Thank you.
    Share on Facebook

deven is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Re: Merchant mariner schooling?

Quote Originally Posted by tugsailor View Post
    The USCG, Congress, the maritime academies, and their alumnae have worked very hard for a very long time to stack the deck against hawsepipers, and give every possible advantage to academy grads. They have been very successful.

Kings Point is difficult to get into, but one would hope that veteran would have an advantage. The state maritime academies take just about everyone.

I highly recommend going to an academy --- if you can.
    Its still not too bad as an engineer, to be honest. I myself am a hawsepiper and have done so fairly recently. I think the biggest obstacle for hawsepipers entering the industry is that there aren't very many QMED jobs out there, and there tends to be "lifers" in those spots. IF you can get a job as a QMED out the gate, don't bother with the academy, but try and get on an unlimited horsepower vessel. You'll make good money while getting (arguably) a better education on the ship, if you are willing to do your own studying of the more technical aspects.
    Share on Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deven For This Useful Post:

SaltySailor (March 16th, 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast