Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shell Drill ship Runs Aground

rshrew is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Wonder what took the tug so long to get to them they were the ones who towed the thing up there.
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain
    more pics showing the ass of the DISCO right on top of the beach

now the question remains, is the rudder bent? How can it not be?
    Yeah that's definitely closer than the reported 100 yards. You could wade out in chest deep water to probably touch that bent rudder. He should have consulted his Chapmans on how to set his scope right.
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 611 Posts

Default Re: Shell Drill ship Runs Aground

One would think that with the future of the Arctic offshore oil leasing program on the line --- that Shell would be sparing no expense and availing themselves of every reasonable precaution available. Instead they start out with this rookie mistake that showcases their incompetence.

I fear that Shell has just done more harm to the future of Arctic offshore drilling than Greenpeace could ever dream of.
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fraqrat View Post
    I'm not a deck guy so maybe I'm confused. When you set anchor don't you usually use VRM or EBL on your radar to judge distance from a fixed object. Isn't this an easy way to judge how you will swing or if you are dragging. I can't believe no one on the bridge didn't notice they were dragging. They left with an armada you mean to tell me they didn't have one towing vessel on standby. There has to be more to it than somebody just had an "oopsie". It baffles me that there could be this sort of breakdown in just basic seamanship. They also had to know that every friggin anti oil hippie in the world is watching them.
    It's a repeat of Port Aranaki with Lucy Lawless. How can such simple precautions as following a VSP or maintaining a proper anchor watch be so dismissed? I'll tell you how...a master who is a boob!

remember also the DISCO ended up having a major weather incident in New Zealand which caused them to wreck their anchoring winches and fairleads and caused them to drop the LMRP on the seafloor and then end up in a shipyard in Brisbane for I don't know how many months. Failure upon failure and who is at the epicenter of all this?

Hmmm?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

I know I am breaking my pledge but you will notice how the media is lapping up the Shell spin this morning claiming that the DISCO did not ground!

BULLSHIT ON THAT!

the photos tell all...The bottom there is fairly steep so the hull likely isn't, but she is aground on the stern, most likely sitting on the skeg. If it is bent, the rudder can not longer be used and there is no drydock closer that Seattle or Esquimalt. Will the USCG allow the ship to operate as purely a barge? I suspect they will because Shell is in too deep now!
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 611 Posts

I can understand why Shell might choose the KULLIUK to drill in the arctic, but why would they choose an old ship like the DISCO?
    Share on Facebook

+A465B is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Where's the Commodore when you need him?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tugsailor View Post
    I can understand why Shell might choose the KULLIUK to drill in the arctic, but why would they choose an old ship like the DISCO?

Damned good question other that she does have an ice class hull and turret mooring plus that Shell has pumped at least $200M into her over the past three years (first in the Philippines in 2009/10, then in Australia (2011/12) and the in Seattle this spring. What they should have done is to have actually completed at least on of the two Bully drillships to be a true Arctic capable ship but that won't happen now they are done. It would take less time and cost less to just go back and try again with a pure arctic design this time. I figured if Shell did come back with a big play up there this season they'd announce that they would be building a rig just for the arctic and that is would be along the lines of the KULLUK just much bigger. You really don't want a ship shape in pack ice unless you can freely pivot on the moorings to meet the direction of the flow. A round rig can just sit there and let the ice just pass on by. All you need is lots of highly capable ice management vessels which Shell is obviously willing to pay for.

Last edited by c.captain; July 15th, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Here's a bit more from the Dutch Harbor Telegraph
    The Noble Discoverer on the beach

15 July 2012

Shell workers scramble to the beach in Dutch Harbor to assess the situation with the drilling ship Noble Discoverer.

Shell’s drilling ship Noble Discoverer dragged anchor in a stiff breeze Saturday evening and the stern of the vessel bumped into the beach in front of Dutch Harbor’s Grand Aleutian Hotel. After an hour stuck on the beach the large vessel was pulled free by the tug Lauren Foss.

At the time of the grounding Shell’s drilling rig Kulluk was being towed by the Aiviq into Captain’s Bay, headed for it’s mooring at OSI. The tug Gyrfalcon was pulled off the Kulluk to assist with the Noble Discoverer. At that time the Aiviq, Shell’s new icebreaker, changed direction and began towing the Kulluk back out to sea.

There was no apparent damage to the Noble Discoverer, but divers probably will check below the water line for possible damage to the rudder or propeller.

The Nobel Discoverer is a 514 ft, 13485 gross tonnage drilling ship originally built in 1965 in Japan as a bulk carrier. It is of Liberian registry. In 1976 the ship was adapted for drilling by a New Orleans shipyard.

Shell’s fleet of drilling and support ships is in Dutch Harbor waiting for Bearing Sea ice to retreat sufficiently for them to begin drilling test wells.
    Last edited by c.captain; July 16th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Rob, this is the location of the grounding based on the perspective in the photos and relative locations of the airport, Hog Island and the rocks in the foreground. Also one report says "in front of the Grand Aleutian Hotel" and the reference of "Airport Road" repeatedly used.:

smack in front of the Hotel Grand Aleutian where I am sure every Shell bigwig was sitting in the bar when someone yelled, "hey the Discoverer is aground right outside"! Can you imagine the kick in the gut feeling that left! Drinks probably were flying as people ran outside to see for themselves.

Last edited by c.captain; July 16th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Share on Facebook

rob
    rob is offline Administrator
    Thanks

The state of Alaska has two anchorages available in that area for vessels greater than 20k GT, but I would think that using DWT be a better number to go with vs. GT. What's the DWT of the DISCO? Anyone know? Can we confirm which anchorage they were in?

Reports indicate that the USCG found no damage or signs that the DISCO struck bottom today. Just tried calling the D17 media number to confirm, but nobody answered.
    Share on Facebook

BMCSRetired is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Just tried calling the D17 media number to confirm, but nobody answered.
    Try calling the D17 Command Center instead, it is manned 24/7 and the if the Crisis Action Center is set-up and running, that is where the Public Affairs guys and gals would be.

You might also try the Public Affairs Office in Kodiak since that is office Dutch Harbor is under and if that does not work, call SECTOR Anchorage.
    Share on Facebook

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast