Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering Licensing Question

wardleman is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Default Engineering Licensing Question

I had a DDE 4000 hp working on a 500 gt vessel. I applied for the DDE Unlimited HP, Limited Assistant Engineer and Chief Engineer Near Coastal. I was approved to take the DDE Unlimited HP/Limited Engineer License and the Chief Engineer Near Coastal. I passed the exams and received my document today. The document lists that I received the C/E Near Coastal 1600 ton with a 4000 hp limitation and the Limited Oceans Assistant Engineer 1600 ton with the 4000 hp limitation. However, it doesn't list the DDE Unlimited HP Endorsement. Should I call NMC regarding not having the DDE Unlimited endorsement or does the Limited Ocean Assistant Engineer allow me to operate as an unlimited HP DDE... Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.
    Share on Facebook

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Engineering Licensing Question

If I were you I'd call. The DDE Unltd will let you work as chief up to 500 t. on unlimited hp vessels if I remember correctly [however this may have changed]. Otherwise as chief you'll be restricted to vessels up to 1600t and less than 4000hp. As an AE you have unlimited already but I assume you want to work as chief.
    Call and let us know what they say. Good luck.
    tengineer
    Share on Facebook

KPEngineer is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Absolutely call. The A/E limited should have the same HP restriction as the Chief so you are SOL for anything over 4000. Even if your job or any you might be applying for doesn't technically require a license I would think any company would like to see the Any HP.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

And why would they give an A/E license exactly the same as your Chief? NMC hard at work again
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

I will never understand the NMC. All the guys I have worked with got a limited oceans Chiefs license when they upgraded to 2nd unlimited. I didnt but figured I would when I went to get my 1st License. Well they said I had to take 4 extra tests in order to get the limited oceans Chief with my unlimited 1st? Screw it. I got the 1st ticket, landed a 1st job and I will get the unlimited Chiefs when I get the time
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brjones
    I will never understand the NMC. All the guys I have worked with got a limited oceans Chiefs license when they upgraded to 2nd unlimited. I didnt but figured I would when I went to get my 1st License. Well they said I had to take 4 extra tests in order to get the limited oceans Chief with my unlimited 1st? Screw it. I got the 1st ticket, landed a 1st job and I will get the unlimited Chiefs when I get the time
    I had the same problem. They made me test for 2nd, Chief NC, and DDE unlimited. The tests were almost identical. At least half the questions were the same. I kept referencing the Marine Safety Manual and they kept telling me it was outdated. In the end I decided it takes longer to fight them than it does to take the tests.

For what it's worth, everyone at the REC told me that I was getting screwed by the NMC ... Like I didn't already know.
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KPEngineer View Post
    I had the same problem. They made me test for 2nd, Chief NC, and DDE unlimited. The tests were almost identical. At least half the questions were the same. I kept referencing the Marine Safety Manual and they kept telling me it was outdated. In the end I decided it takes longer to fight them than it does to take the tests.

For what it's worth, everyone at the REC told me that I was getting screwed by the NMC ... Like I didn't already know.
    I hear ya. The company I work for said if I did not have a PIC then I would need a tankerman engineer endorsement in order to sail as 1 AE. Well the certfifiacte I had from the 5 day course I took only said tankerman asst, so after fighting for a month with them that the class was the same, I took another 5 day course because it turned out to be faster than all the snail mail correspondence I was doing since I could not contact evaluator directly. I didnt take the test because I really didnt need the limited. I needed the 1st ticket. Now 180 more days and I will have the Unlimited Chiefs.
    Share on Facebook

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brjones View Post
    How they got a chief ltd oceans with a 2nd AE is something I don't understand as according to the regs you have to test for it.

"Applicants for Chief Engineer - Limited - Oceans, who completed training in accordance with the STCW
    Code Section A-III/1 and Table A-III/1, and are to be issued a Second Assistant Engineer - Unlimited
    endorsement without examination, must complete all modules listed above to receive the Chief Engineer -
    Limited - Oceans endorsement. "

It then goes on to list the exam subjects. I have not seen a second or even a first engineer's license with a Chief Ltd Oceans endorsement unless they tested for it. Not to say it doesn't exist but if it does how does that square with the quote above from the regs?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

If you tested for 3rd prior to 02 than you have to test again for 2nd so the above quote would not apply but the MSM should in that you can get Chief Ltd with no further testing.

In hindsight I think this was confusing to NMC also. They applied the above reg and so made me test for Chief and DDE forgetting that I am testing for 2nd because my original 3rd was on 97.
    Share on Facebook

QMED805 is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

congratz bro!! i dunno what to tell you about calling the nmc! i need your help i was approve to take the unlimited dde just 2 days ago i dont have any clue what kind of test. and how long did u study? if u can email me some study material i would appreciate it g1xer@live.com
    Share on Facebook

QMED805 is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

congratz bro!! i dunno what to tell you about calling the nmc! i need your help i was approve to take the unlimited dde just 2 days ago i dont have any clue what kind of test. and how long did u study? if u can email me some study material or guide i would appreciate it g1xer@live.com
    Share on Facebook

deven is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KPEngineer View Post

I'm pretty sure that's the NMC's modus operandi.They delay and cause you grief until you don't want to even bother dealing with them ever again. I've been dealing with them for almost 90 days now, all I get are vague answers, or my questions get completely ignored. My evaluator has been kind, but evaluators don't call the shots over there. Most of the people that do call the shots don't have a clue in general about the law or the CFRs or shipping in general, I believe. Maybe that changes the higher up you go, but I haven't seen it yet.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast