Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boiler Suits (Port Arthur Tuxedo's) Or Jeans and Tee Shirts ?

Thanks

Default Boiler Suits (Port Arthur Tuxedo's) Or Jeans and Tee Shirts ?

Like the age old question of boxers or briefs, what do all you engineering or (fresh air dept, deckies too) types prefer to wear while working. I personally hate boiler suits unless I have to get extremely nasty. When working overhead all those wrenches in the back pocket weigh a ton and the wedgie given by the suit is a pain in the ass. Also you can change out a tee in hot weather with a dry one at lunch and dinner so you don't catch pneumonia in the ac. My humble opinion only.
    Share on Facebook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Too bad steam is gone For This Useful Post:

Sweat-n-Grease (January 27th, 2013)

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Boiler Suits (Port Arthur Tuxedo's) Or Jeans and Tee Shirts ?

I wear Carhartt pants and thrift store t shirts. I am with you, I hate coveralls. The only time I put them on is when I have the duty and get an alarm at night. Those and my pull on boots are quick and easy to put on when jumping out of bed.
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 590 Posts

Thin lightweight coveralls all day everyday. I hate having to pull my pants up all day and I hate suspenders and belts. The captain and I recently had to do some training. It was the first time in 6+ years of working together he had ever seen me in jeans and t shirt.
    Share on Facebook

Sweat-n-Grease is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 625 Posts

For me, it depended upon what type of work was involved. For watch standing and maneuvering I wore a boiler suit. For maintenance it was work pants and a "T' shirt, especially if working in an enclosed area. Oh, I always had a railroad engineer's hat too. I hated hard hats but had one handy when working below guys working above me, yes, I learned the hard way about that.

Cheers.jpg
    ~ the road goes on forever and the party never ends ~
    Share on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 28th, 2013)

z-drive is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Always like wearing a boiler suit when i used to spend hours down the engine room on a daily basis...easy transition back to my filthy deck clothes. My hands, well that's another story. Just didn't like bringing soot and grease to the wheelhouse if i could avoid it. But i am a stained/beat carhart individual of the deck variety. Lately have been wearing a carhartt bib especially around the house to avoid scaring the neighbors. those chest pockets really come in handy.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Ever drop you sleeve of your "tuxedo" in the bowl when you sat down. I have. Another time I was cutting a 36" diameter pipe blank out of steel plate and the acetylene hose had leak in the hose where it flexes at the torch connection unbeknownst to me. It was on a large steel welding table and I steadied my arm by holding it near my waist. I had a soaking wet tee shirt under a flame retardant Con Edison boiler suit (chief I worked with supplied them to us form his brother-in-law) with a belt at the waist. The gas entered my boiler suit through the "happy pocket" and finally lit off from a spark. It felt like someone punched me in the gut. I shut off the torch and saw a small burn hole in my "tux" by where my stomach was. My wet tee shirt kept me from burning my stomach and chest. Never liked boiler suits since.
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too bad steam is gone For This Useful Post:

brjones (January 27th, 2013), Sweat-n-Grease (January 27th, 2013)

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Man steam, you and I could spend coffee time telling similar stories. I did drop a pair of channel locks in the porcelain bowl. And one time I was stick welding a pipe hanger overhead in a small space. I was squatting down welding without an apron and just gloves and hood. I was a smoker then and a piece of hot slag burned a hole through my pocket and hit my lighter. lighter blew up in my pocket. Didn't hurt me, but sure scared the piss out of me.
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brjones For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 28th, 2013), Too bad steam is gone (January 27th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brjones View Post
    Man steam, you and I could spend coffee time telling similar stories. I did drop a pair of channel locks in the porcelain bowl. And one time I was stick welding a pipe hanger overhead in a small space. I was squatting down welding without an apron and just gloves and hood. I was a smoker then and a piece of hot slag burned a hole through my pocket and hit my lighter. lighter blew up in my pocket. Didn't hurt me, but sure scared the piss out of me.

I got hot slag on my veiner schnitzel one time but it was similar situation you had kneeling down welding. Could not blame it my boiler suit though.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Too bad steam is gone View Post
    Ever drop you sleeve of your "tuxedo" in the bowl when you sat down. I have. Another time I was cutting a 36" diameter pipe blank out of steel plate and the acetylene hose had leak in the hose where it flexes at the torch connection unbeknownst to me. It was on a large steel welding table and I steadied my arm by holding it near my waist. I had a soaking wet tee shirt under a flame retardant Con Edison boiler suit (chief I worked with supplied them to us form his brother-in-law) with a belt at the waist. The gas entered my boiler suit through the "happy pocket" and finally lit off from a spark. It felt like someone punched me in the gut. I shut off the torch and saw a small burn hole in my "tux" by where my stomach was. My wet tee shirt kept me from burning my stomach and chest. Never liked boiler suits since.
    Oh my fucking good grief !
    Never had this one, but some fucking close.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Well, no matter how good a welder you are, there are times when you spark overhead, little nuggets of fire find their way down to your belly button.
    I have scars too but not any show stoppers. Good to start off sex though. Wanna see some interesting tats, honey?
    Share on Facebook

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 28th, 2013), injunear (January 27th, 2013), Tugs (January 27th, 2013)

Thanks

A guy I worked with in 1989 told me a doozie. He was doing his 2 week active duty Navy reserve on some ship. He and some other maritime grad were ordered to burn something off with a torch. The guy working with him had his mouth open while burning and a piece of hot slag went down the guys throat and burned the guys voice box. The guy had to have surgery to correct it.

He was probably wearing a "Tux"
    Share on Facebook

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too bad steam is gone For This Useful Post:

brjones (January 27th, 2013), Sweat-n-Grease (January 28th, 2013)

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I had a piece of slag fall down the front of my shirt (flannel) and burn a spot on one of the "girls"

It left a blister. This was the shipyard. Guy above me somewhere in a ladderwell was carbon arcing and hadn't put up any firecloth.

The guys thought it was hilarious watching me try and dig it out of my bra.

I prefer tshirts and BDU pants (army pants) with the cargo pockets. PS, if you are in the market for old BDU pants please avoid the ones the Navy is issuing these days. The blue pixel types. They have been found to be flammable and melt in a flame. Better if you can find old used Desert storm era stuff.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast