Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking down a "brown nose"

Thanks

Default Taking down a "brown nose"

I once had a brown nose junior engineer on an MSC oiler who would run to the chief and report "The 12-4 watch was sitting down on the rag cans on watch." The junior was on the 4-8 and saw us sitting down when he came down relieve the watch. Back then it was the chiefs orders to "stand your watch." The chief comes down out of the blue and says to me he will fire anyone sitting down on watch. We suspected the rat was this guy (junior) who had Shemp Howard comb-over and one leg shorter than the other. The next day I said to my oiler, "I hope the chief doesn't find out we burned up his lube oil pump," and "the rat" was within hearing distance. That chief engineer came down huffing and puffing (he smoked 2 packs a day) and came up to me asking about a burned up lube oil pump. I said, "Your pump is fine, we were just looking for the ships rat." I know you folks have some stories better than mine.
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,429 Posts

Default Re: Taking down a "brown nose"

I hope that "rat" is skulking around the docks with "squealer's scars" today and that "chief" paid dearly for his two pack a day habit! "Stand" your watch bullshit!

C.captain cannot abide those types of men at sea...they all need a swift kick to the BALLS!

Am I wrong, but is there more backstabbing bullshit on government ships than commercial?
    Share on Facebook

catherder is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

There are certain disagreeable elements at Marad who like cheese and have long tails. Age is catching up with them, fortunately.
    Share on Facebook

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catherder For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 23rd, 2013), Sweat-n-Grease (January 22nd, 2013)

Sweat-n-Grease is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 620 Posts

WTF?
    Here is a screen shot from a real live steam ship video, you will see a First Engineer, sitting on his tired ass. After 10 hours of repairs to a failed Fire Pump, the First (today, who even knows what THAT means) was on the throttles.)
    In case you missed it here is a short segment of the voyage ( I have posted this before). and there I am sitting on my tired ass waiting for more bells. We worked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e7D3X9QE4w

OnMyAss.jpg
    ~ the road goes on forever and the party never ends ~
    Share on Facebook

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

78BM98 (January 27th, 2013), bc9930 (January 23rd, 2013), catherder (February 3rd, 2013), ChiefRob (January 22nd, 2013), cmakin (January 23rd, 2013), injunear (January 23rd, 2013), MFOWelectrician (January 22nd, 2013), Tugs (January 22nd, 2013)

bc9930 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Enjoyed the vid. Thanks.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Those 24 hour days as 1st, oh how I miss thee. I maneuvered into Portland, OR. (16 hours) then did an eight hour COI with USCG then the company brown nose chief says, I'm going ashore how about working on that fire pump tonight. I told him I'd get right on it. Boy did I sleep good after that hot shower. The chief might have stubbed his toe in his birkenstocks if he knew I blew him off. Beware of anyone calling themselves "The Chief of Choice" at any company
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too bad steam is gone For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 24th, 2013), Sweat-n-Grease (January 23rd, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Too bad steam is gone View Post
    Those 24 hour days as 1st, oh how I miss thee. I maneuvered into Portland, OR. (16 hours) then did an eight hour COI with USCG then the company brown nose chief says, I'm going ashore how about working on that fire pump tonight. I told him I'd get right on it. Boy did I sleep good after that hot shower. The chief might have stubbed his toe in his birkenstocks if he knew I blew him off. Beware of anyone calling themselves "The Chief of Choice" at any company
    Been there, Too bad steam is gone, but never as Chief. When I was C/E the First and I were a team as we were with the entire ER crew. There are folks reading this who know. Hard, to believe, so long ago!
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

catherder (February 3rd, 2013), ChiefRob (January 23rd, 2013), cmakin (January 24th, 2013), Fraqrat (January 24th, 2013), Tugs (January 23rd, 2013)

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    Been there, Too bad steam is gone, but never as Chief. When I was C/E the First and I were a team as we were with the entire ER crew. There are folks reading this who know. Hard, to believe, so long ago!
    Amen.
    From what I hear those days are going quickly and I am glad I am not a part of it. Especially in the drilling business these young guys are sticking each other in the back trying to make it to the top by any means necessary in some cases according to what I hear. The money has corrupted what little morals they possessed. Some of my young friends [less than 40 years of age] tell me stories that sound like something out of a TV series not an engine room of real engineers. As I sit listening to their stories I wonder where their gonads went. Not too many years ago such things would have resulted in an ass whipping at the very least but now it is like middle school girls on an episode of Survivor Island. Glad I am not there any more, wouldn't make it most likely anyway as I believed your work spoke for you and not your BS.
    Share on Facebook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tengineer For This Useful Post:

Sweat-n-Grease (January 25th, 2013)

Tugs is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I was Chief on a ATB running in the GOM that was in pretty rough shape to put it mildly. The Chief that I replaced was more into B.S. than keeping the vessel in good running condition. Well, there was a AB/T that while he was a good guy would RUN to the wheel house and tell the Captain everything that he heard.

This Captain was getting on me to have the A/E clean more. Now at that time we both were up in port doing repairs almost all of the time (24 hours +). I swear if you turned your back something would either fall off or burn up. Every time we would hit port there was something that needed repair, you know little things like cracks in the hull or fuel tanks, cracked heads. The list could go on forever but you know how lazy Engineers are and I am known for getting a little testy when I am over tired.

So, I started feeding little bits of B.S. that I knew would go straight to the Captain. Once the Captain thought he had enough "facts" to write me up for not cleaning he called me up to his lair. You should have seen his face when I looked at him and said I don't know where the hell you heard that. He then Ran not walked down to the E.R. to inspect.

He wanted to upper Fiddly's cleaned (they had not been cleaned in years! He started bitching about this the very first trip that I was on this rig), he had his pet AB/T go into one of the Fiddly's and take a rag to clean a little of one area between the frames. The only time to do this would have been underway. The weather had been really bad with at least 15-20 foot seas, so I was not about to tell anyone to put themselves in harms way by having to work up there and logged my concerns, so I went up there (in my spare time HA HA. when I should have been getting some rest) and cleaned that frame plus the one on either side of it.

He ran right into the Port Fiddly to see if I had "cleaned" well he saw the areas that I cleaned and looked at me and just walked away. Needless to say we watched what we said around that AB/T after that.

Another boat had a C/M on it that bitched every time there was no cold bottled water. Well I caught the AB/T refilling old water bottles and gluing the tops back on so they would click when opened just like a new one. This C/M drank water like this all trip and never knew it . I was really careful to stay on the good side of that AB/T,
    A Good Friend will Bail you out of Jail, But a Great Friend will be sitting right next to you saying WOW that was a Blast!
    Share on Facebook

cmakin is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I am sorry that I was so lazy, but I was tired. . . . oh, wait. Cracked heads? Nah, we may have had lots of problems on the SEA SKIMMER, but that wasn't one of them. . . . .
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tugs View Post
    I was Chief on a ATB running in the GOM that was in pretty rough shape to put it mildly. The Chief that I replaced was more into B.S. than keeping the vessel in good running condition. Well, there was a AB/T that while he was a good guy would RUN to the wheel house and tell the Captain everything that he heard.

This Captain was getting on me to have the A/E clean more. Now at that time we both were up in port doing repairs almost all of the time (24 hours +). I swear if you turned your back something would either fall off or burn up. Every time we would hit port there was something that needed repair, you know little things like cracks in the hull or fuel tanks, cracked heads. The list could go on forever but you know how lazy Engineers are and I am known for getting a little testy when I am over tired.
    Tugs, in my day no Captain would think of ordering the Chief around. Usually the Chief and Captain got together for a few cold ones at the end of the work day and before evening meal. Discussions were held about ship's business and other topics of seamen's interests. Not posting this was always the case but from my experience it was more the rule than the exception. I believe, looking back, MSC was the exception.
    How times have changed!
    Share on Facebook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

Kennebec Captain (January 25th, 2013)

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    Tugs, in my day no Captain would think of ordering the Chief around. Usually the Chief and Captain got together for a few cold ones at the end of the work day and before evening meal. Discussions were held about ship's business and other topics of seamen's interests. Not posting this was always the case but from my experience it was more the rule than the exception. I believe, looking back, MSC was the exception.
    How times have changed!
    Maybe egos weren't so big then or perhaps common sense was more common.
    Share on Facebook

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tengineer For This Useful Post:

c.captain (January 25th, 2013), Too bad steam is gone (January 25th, 2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast