Thread: Chouest exhaust

coldduck is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Chouest exhaust

We've been doing a lot of standing-by in Fourchon lately, and I've noticed that the newer 2280's seem to black smoke way more than the older vessels. What's causing this; different mains, filters, fuel, injectors? I work in the wheelhouse so this definitely is not my territory, just curious.
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Chouest exhaust

I am not familiar with the actual engines you are using, but black smoke is an indication of incomplete combustion. There are numerous things that can cause it. Timing, injectors, turbocharger...just to name a few. You either have too much fuel or not enough air on your air/ fuel mixture
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 623 Posts

I believe they are equipped with Cat C-280-8 engines. They may need to have the guy come down with his laptop and make some adjustments.
    Share on Facebook

injunear is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

I'd bet on too much time at idle...
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 623 Posts

We have the same engines and in the winter time of we have to run wx patterns that's what happens to us. It usually blows right out and clears up after they've been at full rev for a few minutes. With all these fancy electronicals on these engines nowadays sometimes you gotta tweak the magic box.
    Share on Facebook

BMCSRetired is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I would bet a diesel Electric drive-train with the GENSETS running high end most of the time with no load instead of of setting them low and having them rev up automatically when needed. That was one of the drawbacks of diesel-electrics when I ran one, if you run them high end/no load the stacks tend to load up and catch on fire at annoying times like going from idle to full power too quickly. Another problem is running them low idle and when needing more power quickly, bogging the engine down or tripping the electric motor offline which is no fun either.

I figured by now the computers would have caught up and eliminated these two issues...
    Share on Facebook

Low_Tide is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BMCSRetired View Post
    I would bet a diesel Electric drive-train with the GENSETS running high end most of the time with no load instead of of setting them low and having them rev up automatically when needed. That was one of the drawbacks of diesel-electrics when I ran one, if you run them high end/no load the stacks tend to load up and catch on fire at annoying times like going from idle to full power too quickly. Another problem is running them low idle and when needing more power quickly, bogging the engine down or tripping the electric motor offline which is no fun either.I figured by now the computers would have caught up and eliminated these two issues...
    With respect, I'm not sure I follow. If it is diesel electric, it doesn't matter is there is a load or no load it needs to run at a constant RPM to keep the phase in line. Idle is fine if it's not tied to the bus.
    Share on Facebook