Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting seamanship experience in Highschool...?

JamesJim is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Question Getting seamanship experience in Highschool...?

I was looking into Cal Maritime, and I read that if I submit a resume with my seamanship and leadership experience that will also be considered in my application.
    Thing is, I have no clue how to get that experience... Can anyone shed some light on how I could obtain some solid experience in two years, or is there really nothing I can do?

Also, this is rather random but I am finishing up my Private Pilot's license now - do you think I could use that as a leadership experience or whatever and if so, would that boost my acceptance probability?

Thanks in advance,
    James
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

Default Re: Getting seamanship experience in Highschool...?

Where do you live?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Central Florida - so I have two ports within 1-2 hours of me. Canaveral and Tampa.
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Sea scouts
    Share on Facebook

dredgeboater is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Most definitely Sea Scouts.
    Share on Facebook

SSG33 is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

They're sea scout ships all over the SF Bay, Delta, Santa Cruz, and SoCal. Message me if you have any questions.
    By the way almost every "ship" wants more youth 13-21
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tugsailor View Post
    Where do you live?

I live in Central Florida.
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 564 Posts

I am impressed by a high school student with a private pilot's license. I think most people will be.

I suggest that you go for a summer course at Hurricane Island Outward Bound School. You will learn a lot of very useful nautical and life skills in a short time. You will also make contacts that will help you find your first boat job.

Beyond that, make sure that you take, and do well in, high school math and physics classes. Take honors or AP physics and calculus, if possible.
    Share on Facebook

brjones is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

If you live in FL then why CMA? Florida gets instate tuition to NY and Mass dont they?
    Share on Facebook

LI_Domer is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Yea I would think staying East Coast would be better.
    Share on Facebook

PaddyWest2012 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

If you want seamanship experience in high school get a job as a mate or a deckhand on a charter boat somewhere on the east coast. Not a boose-cruise striper-fishing boat but a day-sailer like a schooner or something. That's where I started, more or less, and it was the most fun I've had in my entire life, especially when you live aboard. It also taught me how to manage a crew, maintain a vessel, and run a boat in general. Depending on where you are the money's not bad for a high school student either. My last summer doing it I took home around $400-$500 per week, which is hardly an OSV but that's not bad for pocket cash when you're a teenage with relatively low personal expenses.

About your pilot's license: with a little more time and effort I'm told you can get your helicopter endorsement, or whatever they call it, on your private pilot's license. If you were willing to take the time and effort to do that I can tell you that that would take you a long way in one particular sector of the maritime industry: private yachts. If an owner can pay you to be their mate/captain/deckhand/what-ever AND their private chopper pilot, then so much the better! Two birds with one stone. A pilot's license is most definitely a serious competitive advantage when it comes to yachts.

I can't speak to this on any personal level but I have a suspicion that a chopper pilot's license might also help to a certain degree in the off-shore supply industry. I know most, if not all, of the rigs in the gulf, and indeed many of the vessels down there as well, have helipads and frequently do crew transfers and small supply-runs that way. If a company can hire a mate or a captain who can second as a back-up pilot for one of their choppers, then that could potentially put you a step above the rest.

Also about maritime academies, good to see you're looking ahead, I know I was early in high school, but don't leave any of the big six out (Maine, Massachusetts, Texas, California, Great Lakes, and Kings Point). If there is something you like in particular about Cal-Maritime that's fine, but don't forget that each one has things going for it that the other five don't have (except maybe Kings Point, they're having a pretty hard time lately so be careful there).

Just in the interests of shamelessly plugging for my own alma mater I can tell you that if you were to attend Maine Maritime Academy you could graduate with a 1600-ton mate's license (the largest tonnage license without being unlimited) and a towing endorsement (both HIGHLY marketable things), all without having to spend 4 years in the regiment and just living like a normal student at any other college, which is something you cannot do at any other of the big six maritime academies. MMA's graduates also have highly competitive job placement and starting salaries with the other maritime academies.

Good luck in your endeavors and godspeed! If you ever come up to visit Castine (Maine Maritime) send me a PM and I'll see you get a good tour!

- PaddyWest
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..."
    As I was a walkin' down London Road I come to Paddy West's house. He gave me a feed of "American hash" and he called it "Liverpool Scouse". He said, "There's a ship who's wantin' hands, and on 'er ye'll quickly sign! The mate is a bastard, the bos'un's worse but she will suit ye' fine!
    Share on Facebook

cmakin is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I don't believe that having a helicopter pilot's license will help one land a job in the GOM (except maybe with a helicopter company). Just about all of the helicopters flying offshore (maybe even all) are contracted with an operator like PHI, ERA, AirLog (or whatever they are calling themselves now). Of course the license, unlike maritime, are equipment specific, as well.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast