The Island Innovator, a DNV-classed semi-submersible drilling and well intervention rig was delivered today by COSCO Qidong shipyard to its new owner, Odfjell Drilling. This new rig has been contracted to drill 12 wells on the Norwegian Continental Shelf by Maracc and Lundin Norway AS, which will likely take at least the next two years. Project start-up is planned for Q2 2013.
“The operation of Island Innovator will be an important contribution to Odfjell Drilling’s activity on the Norwegian continental shelf. The contract between the owner Maracc and Lundin Norway AS will mean greater predictability for Odfjell Drilling and our operations in Norway. We will need around 170 employees to operate the rig,” says Simen Lieungh, CEO of Odfjell Drilling.
About the Island Innovator
The rig is classed by DNV and is a Global Maritime GM4000-WI design capable of drilling in water depths up to 1300 meters or for well intervention work up to 3000 meters.
- DP System: Kongsberg DP-3
- Power: (6) Wartsila 12V32 diesel engines
- Propulsion: (6) 3840 kW Wartsila thrusters
- Electrical: Siemens Oil and Gas, Norway – 6600 V
- Drilling Package: National Oilwell Varco
- BOP: Cameron 5 ram, 15k PSI
- Crane: 165 ton subsea heave-compensated to 2000m water depth
- Mud module: 5 Brandt VSM300 Shakers
- Accommodation: 120 persons