Celebrity Cruises maiden ship in its new Solstice Class departed Meyer Werft shipyard yesterday in Papenburg, Germany. The Celebrity Solstice, at length of just over 1,000 ft., is the largest cruise ship by Celebrity Cruises and from the looks of it, just getting it out of port was no easy task.
The Celebrity Solstice is the first of five ships in Celebrity Cruises’ Solstice Class: a class of ships that will offer “floating worlds of aesthetic and experiential perfection, where every detail is attended to and every guest is pampered,” according to Celebrity Cruises.
Celebrity Solstice will offer a range of amenities, never before seen on any other cruise ships. MarketWatch.com provides us with this list:
- The industry’s first Lawn Club, a lush, half-acre recreation area with real, growing grass.
- The industry’s first Hot Glass Show, with live glassblowing demonstrations presented in association with The Corning Museum of Glass.
- Larger staterooms, with design inspirations offered by a panel of five women, hand-picked for their unique travel and hospitality insights.
- 10 varied restaurants, ranging from the dramatic, two-level “Grand Epernay” main dining room with a sweeping wine tower, to four exquisite specialty restaurants, to several stylish, casual venues.
- An entirely new category of accommodations, “AquaClass,” designed to offer a spa vacation experience at sea rivaling the best of those on land.
- A state-of-the-art theater and stage design, with three new leading- edge shows custom-designed for Celebrity with Poet Theatricals, in their first cruise line partnership.
Occupancy: 2,850 (not including crew)
Length: 1,033 ft.
Beam 121 ft.
Draught: 27 ft.
Cruise Speed: 24 kts
Inaugural Date: November 23, 2008